Recommendation Letters for Law Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recommendation Letters for Law Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Has anyone here ever had a reference send a recommendation letter to a firm? If so, did it have any kind of positive impact?

Saw a jerb for a junior associate posted locally. The firm is looking for a candidate with at least one year of experience, which I obviously don't have, but I've done a lot of stuff in this practice area and am egotistical enough to think I'd be a good fit. A partner from the firm that I worked at last summer has offered to write a recommendation for me if I ever needed one, and the decision-maker at New Firm would have at least heard of this partner (same city and practice area).

Is it worthwhile to ask the partner to write a rec emphasizing the stuff I did in that practice area?

eerie_erie

Re: Recommendation Letters for Law Firms

Postby eerie_erie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Okay, I'm just going to stick my neck out there and give one point of view, which may or may not be the best plan of action.

Ask the partner if he or she thinks it is a good idea to apply for this job, given that you don't have the one year of experience but have some exposure to it. If the partner seems enthusiastic and wants you to take the risk, then ask for the letter. I only say this because the partner is probably very busy, so you don't want to make them annoyed by chasing after positions that won't work out for you.

holdencaulfield

Re: Recommendation Letters for Law Firms

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm

See if the your ex-boss knows any partners at the firm where the job is. If so, ask if he will call and put in a good word for you. That will take less time on his part and probably be more effective.

Return to “Legal Employment”