What do gov't interviewers want to hear?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What do gov't interviewers want to hear?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

So I got an interview with a fed department that I have zero previous experience with, and I really don't know how to spin my resume/experience to the job. I have some regulatory experience, but I haven't even taken a class relating to this department's goal. What can I expect to be asked, and how thick should I apply the bullshit?

jessuf

Re: What do gov't interviewers want to hear?

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:34 pm

It really depends on the agency. I'm assuming this isn't the DOJ?

I currently work for a federal agency. I've also interviewed with a variety of other agencies. You can PM me, if you'd like.

Short answer is show passion for/interest in whatever it is that the agency oversees.

harbin

Postby harbin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Depends on the department I would think. I interviewed with two more obscure departments for the summer (one DOJ, one non-DOJ) and both wanted an interest, but more so in general government and litigation than their specific department. I think in those situations going overboard in professing love for their work is going to come of as fake.

(EDIT DISCLAIMER: I'm just a 1L, but I was offered both summer internships.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am

2L here who worked in government last summer. I think they like to see commitment to public interest or a particular field (e.g. environmental law). You don't have to be super public interest-y. But being able to point to something in your background when you say "I like government" will help.

Return to “Legal Employment”