Passing a background check with ADHD?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Passing a background check with ADHD?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Is there any reason to believe that being diagnosed with ADHD will cause someone to "fail" a background check for DOJ?

Any input is appreciated. Please do not turn this thread into a debate about whether the jobs exist. Lets assume they do, and lets assume that there is nothing else in this person's background that will otherwise preclude them from passing the background check.

TYIA.

Shmoopy

Re: Passing a background check with ADHD?

Postby Shmoopy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Is "diagnosed with ADHD" code for "pretended to have ADHD to get study buddies"?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

I don't see why it would be a problem. There's a section on the background check asking about any "emotional or mental health condition" for which you consulted a health care professional/were hospitalized within the last 7 years, but I have a hard time seeing ADHD fall under either of those. If it did, you'd just need a medical professional to swear that it won't affect your work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 pm

Shmoopy wrote:Is "diagnosed with ADHD" code for "pretended to have ADHD to get study buddies"?

No.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Shmoopy wrote:Is "diagnosed with ADHD" code for "pretended to have ADHD to get study buddies"?

No.

:wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem. There's a section on the background check asking about any "emotional or mental health condition" for which you consulted a health care professional/were hospitalized within the last 7 years, but I have a hard time seeing ADHD fall under either of those. If it did, you'd just need a medical professional to swear that it won't affect your work.

The form that is sent to the doctor will ask: 1) Will the diagnosis affect the person's reliability/judgment? 2) If so, please explain. 3) What is the prognosis?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:32 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem. There's a section on the background check asking about any "emotional or mental health condition" for which you consulted a health care professional/were hospitalized within the last 7 years, but I have a hard time seeing ADHD fall under either of those. If it did, you'd just need a medical professional to swear that it won't affect your work.

The form that is sent to the doctor will ask: 1) Will the diagnosis affect the person's reliability/judgment? 2) If so, please explain. 3) What is the prognosis?

Right - I kinda paraphrased. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Right - I kinda paraphrased. :wink:

Gotcha.

Return to “Legal Employment”