Firm Clerkship -> Associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Clerkship -> Associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm a 1L and I'm looking at a clerkship with a small boutique firm in my hometown, they generally hire year-round paid clerks starting second semester of 1L, and then hire them after they graduate. Good train to get on? I'd be paid all through school, but I wouldn't have time to pursue other employment/internships/clinic/etc.

ph14

Gold

Re: Firm Clerkship -> Associate?

Post by ph14 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L and I'm looking at a clerkship with a small boutique firm in my hometown, they generally hire year-round paid clerks starting second semester of 1L, and then hire them after they graduate. Good train to get on? I'd be paid all through school, but I wouldn't have time to pursue other employment/internships/clinic/etc.
Yeah for the most part. You aren't missing out on too much, and I think it is outweighed by getting paid and getting real world experience.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Depends on your school and whether you want to work there post-graduation. If you're at a non-T14 and would love to work there, sounds great. If you're at HYS and want to work for a big New York firm, might want to carefully consider.

That said, if you are a 2L, why wouldn't you take the position, assuming you enjoy the work? It'll look good on your resume (assuming it's an actual boutique and not just a small TTT firm), you'll probably get paid as much or more than any other job you're likely to get the second half of 1L year or 1L summer, and it's probably as much experience as you'd get at an internship/clinic. As long as you can balance working for the firm with maintaining good grades, it seems like a slam dunk. If you get better opportunities through OCI, there's nothing stopping you from quitting and committing to the better opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

actually, if he's at HYS he can do whatever he wants.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”