reference check

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

reference check

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Do any big firms really do it?

And if they do what do they ask,

aces

Re: reference check

Postby aces » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Very few big firms require you to provide references before 2L OCI, which is where most entry-level hiring (eventually) takes place. The only big firms I'm aware of that require references for OCI are Covington and Arnold & Porter. None of the big New York firms do, for instance.

Firms that do want references just ask you to prove the contact information for two or three references (past employers or professors who know you well), and Covington and A&P do contact your references before making offers. If you are applying to firms that require references, it is highly recommended that you at least email the folks you plan to list so they don't get surprised by a call out of the blue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Depends on the firm. Some of the more selective firms are known for calling all references provided early in the process (Covington DC, Williams and Connolly, Arnold and Porter -- maybe it's just a DC thing?), some firms will only call before extending an offer, and some firms will never call.

Don't really know what they ask, but anecdotally one firm called me out during my CB for "overstating" how long I had been at a job (I didn't really, my reference just misunderstood the question), so maybe don't do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm

thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”