Summer externship offers from judges

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer externship offers from judges

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Is it the general consensus that one should not accept an interview with a judge unless he plans to accept an offer if given on the spot? Or just that one shouldn't reneg after accepting an offer from a judge? Does this change with regard to different levels of judges - is this rule looser when it comes to, say, a traffic court judge but stricter for a federal district court judge?

Anonymous User

Re: Summer externship offers from judges

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 pm

If it's for an internship/externship, it's fine to ask for 24 hours to consider the offer. The whole "don't go on an interview unless you're prepared to say yes to an offer on the spot" is really just in regards to clerkships. (From my T14 Career Services Office). Typically, judges won't put you on the spot like that for an internship. I would say don't renege after accepting an offer - you can always ask to split your summer.

Also, as long as you're polite, I wouldn't rule out being honest with the clerk - "I would like to schedule an interview, but I just had an interview with Awesome Internship position and made it clear that I would accept a position if Awesome offered." (Worked for me... the clerk set up a phone interview, offered me the position, I asked for a few days to reach out to awesome, ended up turning it down saying that I still wanted to wait for an answer from Awesome, then I got Awesome.)

Return to “Legal Employment”