CPA and OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RG III

CPA and OCI

Postby RG III » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 pm

If you are a CPA with some Big 4 experience do you have a huge leg up versus other candidates? Assume audit experience.

With respect to transactional law. Not so much tax.

Are you guaranteed a job if you go to a T14? An improved shot at a job?

RG III

Re: CPA and OCI

Postby RG III » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Bamp

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 pm

RG III wrote:An improved shot at a job

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 pm

RG III wrote:If you are a CPA with some Big 4 experience do you have a huge leg up versus other candidates? Assume audit experience.

Huge? No. Improved? Yes.

It's going to be viewed as somewhat relevant but your grades and school will probably still be the deal maker or breaker.

RG III

Postby RG III » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 pm

bdubs wrote:
RG III wrote:If you are a CPA with some Big 4 experience do you have a huge leg up versus other candidates? Assume audit experience.

Huge? No. Improved? Yes.

It's going to be viewed as somewhat relevant but your grades and school will probably still be the deal maker or breaker.

This was my hunch. I really appreciate the responses. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm

CCN with my CPA, 3 years big4 audit prior to law school, series 7, series 66 as well

My impression at OCI was that my grades made much more difference than anything else. My grades were relatively low in the class (bottom 1/3). I was able to land a biglaw position, however I had 12 callbacks that lead to 2 offers. I have to think my low conversion rate was grades related, I did countless practice interviews prior to OCI and I was heavily involved with recruiting at my big4 so I have interviewed candidates before and seen what I liked about different responses.

Anyways, for V100 firms, I was 0/10, for NLJ250 firms, I was 2/2. This is all just my anecdotal data point, but I think had my grades been higher I would have had a lot more success. I would have traded my work experience and CPA license for higher grades going into OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm

I found having a CPA to be very helpful. It won't get you an interview if you don't have the grades. But once you meet the minimum threshold for grades, it is very helpful in the interviewing process.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My grades were relatively low in the class (bottom 1/3). I was able to land a biglaw position, however I had 12 callbacks that lead to 2 offers.

It sounds like you outperformed your numbers by a significant margin, IMO. I'm guessing that you bid fairly prudently.

OP: This may actually be the more likely case. Your CPA may provide more downside protection than upside potential.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm

CPA [no Big 4 experience] + TTT Top 5%, landed V100 SA.

Be ready to have a compelling reason for why you no longer want to be an accountant and are now pursuing a law degree. I was asked this on every interview. Also be ready to have "stories" about what types of things you worked on as an accountant that developed your "attention to detail," especially if you are not on a journal. This will give you a slight advantage compared to other candidates who are also not on a journal.

As stated above, none of this is relevant if you don't meet the requisite school/GPA combo that gets your foot in the door.

Return to “Legal Employment”