Cum laude requirements at UCLA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cum laude requirements at UCLA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm

I'm a second-year at UCLA and was wondering if anyone who is an alumnus or just has personal knowledge knows whether UCLA has latin honors (e.g., cum laude). I just was wondering because I've never seen any graduates with Latin Honors next to their name. I've seen Coif, but no Latin. I wanted to know because I was wondering how much of a disadvantage would it be if UCLA really didn't give Latin Honors?

Bruin57

Re: Cum laude requirements at UCLA?

Postby Bruin57 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:13 am

I was told by someone in the records office they do not have Latin honors. Only order of the coif

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Since there seems to be a couple fellow Bruins in here, does anyone have any idea where, rankwise, a 3.65 as a 3L would put me? Top 15%?

Dman

Postby Dman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 am

No honors, as mentioned before only coif and they do rank the top 10 people (not %). You can get your rank if you apply to certain clerkships but you will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Very generally speaking, my understanding is that 3.7+ puts you close to top 10% , 3.5 is top 1/3 and 50% is 3.2-3.3 ish. Most big firms hiring cut offs are in the 3.3-3.4 range for v100, 3.5-3.6 for the more prestigious type (Sullivan, Latham, etc). Irell requires a 3.7. Hope that helps.

Return to “Legal Employment”