1L Summer Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Benjamin1987

1L Summer Question

Postby Benjamin1987 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Big picture goal is Big Law. I had a Prof. offer a RA position. However, the subject matter is related to criminal law. Should I be turning this down? My understanding is that 1L summer isn't that important. So long as you do something legal. Yet, I can't really see this helping me in the long run.

On the other hand, the prof. is excellent, it would be a paid position (slim chance of getting anything paying at this point), and I could put my 1L search to rest and focus on academics.

Thoughts?

Top ~3% at a T1

GoatDolphin

Re: 1L Summer Question

Postby GoatDolphin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Benjamin1987 wrote:Big picture goal is Big Law. I had a Prof. offer a RA position. However, the subject matter is related to criminal law. Should I be turning this down? My understanding is that 1L summer isn't that important. So long as you do something legal. Yet, I can't really see this helping me in the long run.

On the other hand, the prof. is excellent, it would be a paid position (slim chance of getting anything paying at this point), and I could put my 1L search to rest and focus on academics.

Thoughts?

Top ~3% at a T1

My thoughts are that you should take it. Continue hunting for a 1L SA position. If you get the SA tell your prof that your bailing...

SA>RA and RA is equal to about anything else.

Nelson

Re: 1L Summer Question

Postby Nelson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Unless you have something else out there that's already at the interview/offer stage, you should take it. Firms don't really care that much about what you do 1L summer. It's paid and you like the prof. You get a great reference, a writing sample, and maybe your name on an article at the end of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”