2L SA practice area background reading?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L SA practice area background reading?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm going to be rotating through two practice areas next summer, and I have little experience in or knowledge of either subject.

I'm thinking about emailing the firm to ask for reading and other background information to get some exposure to relevant terminology and procedures.

Is this necessary? It's a < 40 attorney firm and I think I'm the only SA, so I'm assuming they expect me to hit the ground running.

bdubs

Re: 2L SA practice area background reading?

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to be rotating through two practice areas next summer, and I have little experience in or knowledge of either subject.

I'm thinking about emailing the firm to ask for reading and other background information to get some exposure to relevant terminology and procedures.

Is this necessary? It's a < 40 attorney firm and I think I'm the only SA, so I'm assuming they expect me to hit the ground running.

Can you really not figure this out on your own? If you have a close contact that you can ask in an informal way, it would probably be ok/good to ask. If you are just contacting HR to ask if there is background reading you can do it will be weird and will probably leave them with a bad impression before you've even started.

Return to “Legal Employment”