Economy This Bad Or Just 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Economy This Bad Or Just 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Economy is just hideously bad

I'm also 1L at MVP and within top 8-10%. eng background, HYP UG, 2 years of work at HUGE tech company...and 1 firm interview

granted, I'm gunning for a major market

but yeah...you're not alone

Did you apply to IP boutiques (i.e. probably focused on patent prosecution) or just NLJ 250? You really should have a 1L SA at an IP boutique in the bag

I applied to some IP boutiques, but I guess not enough. I'm not really sure what qualifies as IP boutique...like for instance does Fish & Richardson count? They're a big firm but they primarily do patent lit/pros...

I think I wasn't careful in making a list of IP specific firms, and I only blanketed one market...so a lot of my lack of interviews is my own doing. That being said, it's not all bad OP, just like everyone else is saying 2L year should be no problem.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to some IP boutiques, but I guess not enough. I'm not really sure what qualifies as IP boutique...like for instance does Fish & Richardson count? They're a big firm but they primarily do patent lit/pros...

I think I wasn't careful in making a list of IP specific firms, and I only blanketed one market...so a lot of my lack of interviews is my own doing. That being said, it's not all bad OP, just like everyone else is saying 2L year should be no problem.

I consider IP boutiques to be ones that have a really hard time attracting 2Ls because of the opportunity cost of giving up a big law SA. So no, i wouldn't consider Fish & Richardson to be a boutique, even though they do primarily IP (in fact they are one of the biggest names in that practice area).

Also, if that market is DC then I can imagine it would be hard/impossible as a 1L. Other markets should be more doable, although i don't know much about NYC for patent prosecution (i.e. is it economical to do prosecution given the high overhead costs).

chem wrote:Not that poster, but is there a list somewhere of IP boutiques?

I don't know of a comprehensive list, but your school should probably have info to help you out. Failing that a post on TLS with a specific market should garner some helpful input.
Last edited by bdubs on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to some IP boutiques, but I guess not enough. I'm not really sure what qualifies as IP boutique...like for instance does Fish & Richardson count? They're a big firm but they primarily do patent lit/pros...

I consider IP boutiques to be ones that have a really hard time attracting 2Ls because of the opportunity cost of giving up a big law SA. So no, i wouldn't consider Fish & Richardson to be a boutique, even though they do primarily IP (in fact they are one of the biggest names in that practice area).

Also, if that market is DC then I can imagine it would be hard/impossible as a 1L. Other markets should be more doable, although i don't know much about NYC for patent prosecution (i.e. is it economical to do prosecution given the high overhead costs).

ah, thanks for the advice. I'm targeting Southern CA, so according to Vault rankings the only one I mass mailed would be Knobbe, where I am currently "under review." Can't really find any other boutiques in that area =/

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ah, thanks for the advice. I'm targeting Southern CA, so according to Vault rankings the only one I mass mailed would be Knobbe, where I am currently "under review." Can't really find any other boutiques in that area =/

The kinds of firms I'm talking about wouldn't be Vault ranked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm also 1L at MVP and within top 8-10%. eng background, HYP UG, 2 years of work at HUGE tech company...and 1 firm interview

yeah if somebody told me that top 10% at mvp wouldn't cut it, i wouldn't have gone to law school. it sucks and is a lot of money and oh is it terrible b/w the work and the competition and sitting all day reading. it's horrible. i went because i was told the economy sucks and only top 3rd at mvp get big law. if this isn't even true, well then, they should all close down. i came because i was pretty confident i could get top third and even better if i tried.

you realize this is the job of being a lawyer, right?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:If you feel entitled to get paid your 1L summer you need to check yourself.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 pm

There are plenty of paid summer jobs. You are just picky and want teh biglawlz which all the partners' kids and top of the class 1Ls at HYS already nabbed up.

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

yeah if somebody told me that top 10% at mvp wouldn't cut it, i wouldn't have gone to law school. it sucks and is a lot of money and oh is it terrible b/w the work and the competition and sitting all day reading. it's horrible. i went because i was told the economy sucks and only top 3rd at mvp get big law. if this isn't even true, well then, they should all close down. i came because i was pretty confident i could get top third and even better if i tried.

you realize this is the job of being a lawyer, right?

Yeah, that bolded statement is worrisome. If you really hate it that much, I'm not sure getting a paid job for 1L summer is going to help you much. Also, seems like all the 1L positions (paid) in my city are being snatched up by people who have connections to the firm (friends w/partner or something).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so if my only goals are -

1.) 160k set up after law school
2.) have a potential stream of income (never lower than 300 and sometimes as much as 2k) if i work about 3-4 hours per day.

still surprised no one called this shit out

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm

dingbat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so if my only goals are -

1.) 160k set up after law school
2.) have a potential stream of income (never lower than 300 and sometimes as much as 2k) if i work about 3-4 hours per day.

still surprised no one called this shit out

I couldn't even comprehend WTF he was claiming he deserved (per week? per day?!). But I hope that requirement was in the cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:57 am

He will be lucky if he has a job at graduation which pays more than $ 50,000. I would worry more about that than a cappy 1L position.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewLobo

Postby NewLobo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:i am going to hold you personally to this statement convincing me to suck up the hell hole again and not drop out. if i stay in the top 20% and keep my looks, i am going to sue you for this misleadingness shenanigan.

:shock:

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L at MVP - high grades, safely in top 20% range, prob closer to top 10%, interesting resume, can't even get an interview anywhere.

I know 2L is easier, but is it going to be tough to get a job with average interview skills, etc.?

Also interested. Similar grades, with IP. A few interviews, but no bites

Discouraged a bit

Given, only applied for 1L SA's

A lot of 1L SA hiring happens in late Feb - April. With IP, you should be good for a 1L SA, assuming your have a legit tech background (i.e. engineering, CS)

woodsjm

Postby woodsjm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 am

I know someone that went to Indiana University Bloomington who obtained a paid 1L SA position. He was top %15 in his class first year. The SA gig was at Barnes and Thornburg in Indianapolis (Summer of 2010).

FAR more important, however, is the fact that he is now an associate in D.C.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I finished #4 in my class (strong regional T1). I thought 1L SA was a good shot. I've got some interviews lined up, but I've also written to a ton of people and got no reply, so it's starting to hit me that I'm going to have to fight for an SA and may fail.

Most firms don't hire 1L SA's, and if they do they are looking to lock people in early before they are tempted away. So it's typically firms in secondary markets looking to keep people in that market. Or firms trying to get diversity hires. Or some IP boutiques trying to get you before you go Big law.

IIRC at Northwestern around 9% get a 1L SA. Most of that is diversity.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am

1L hiring was always a flame. It's not an ITE thing.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 am

hurldes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1L at MVP - high grades, safely in top 20% range, prob closer to top 10%, interesting resume, can't even get an interview anywhere.

I know 2L is easier, but is it going to be tough to get a job with average interview skills, etc.?

Discouraged a bit

A lot of 1L SA hiring happens in late Feb - April. With IP, you should be good for a 1L SA, assuming your have a legit tech background (i.e. engineering, CS)

There aren't nearly enough 1L SA's for IP people.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:
hurldes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Discouraged a bit

There aren't nearly enough 1L SA's for IP people.

CR.

Return to “Legal Employment”