Economy This Bad Or Just 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Economy This Bad Or Just 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:36 pm

1L at MVP - high grades, safely in top 20% range, prob closer to top 10%, interesting resume, can't even get an interview anywhere.

I know 2L is easier, but is it going to be tough to get a job with average interview skills, etc.?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Economy This Bad Or Just 1L

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:38 pm

When you say "interview," do you mean a 1L SA, or any legal position at all?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:When you say "interview," do you mean a 1L SA, or any legal position at all?

any paid legal position. it would be great to work for free throughout my career and would have made law school a great investment because who wouldn't want to leave a consistent 600-700 bux a week for a great opportunity to read boring ass shit for 1000s of dollars a day, and get to work for free. but ideally i'd like some pay for my work. at least organized slavery, not to mock slavery which is awful, but at least it'd get me back into shape.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at MVP - high grades, safely in top 20% range, prob closer to top 10%, interesting resume, can't even get an interview anywhere.

I know 2L is easier, but is it going to be tough to get a job with average interview skills, etc.?

Also interested. Similar grades, with IP. A few interviews, but no bites

Discouraged a bit

Given, only applied for 1L SA's

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:When you say "interview," do you mean a 1L SA, or any legal position at all?

any paid legal position. it would be great to work for free throughout my career and would have made law school a great investment because who wouldn't want to leave a consistent 600-700 bux a week for a great opportunity to read boring ass shit for 1000s of dollars a day, and get to work for free. but ideally i'd like some pay for my work. at least organized slavery, not to mock slavery which is awful, but at least it'd get me back into shape.

If you feel entitled to get paid your 1L summer you need to check yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i won't feel any more entitled my 2l summer either. my q is if this is reflective of what the legal market is like - i.e. top 20% at mvp with no connections are gonna get f'd?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Before you wreck yourself. Lol.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i won't feel any more entitled my 2l summer either. my q is if this is reflective of what the legal market is like - i.e. top 20% at mvp with no connections are gonna get f'd?

no. you just don't get paid 1L. that's standard. You'll be in good shape for biglaw 2L and after graduating.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm

The easiest paid opportunity to get as 1l is work as an research assistant for professor or in-house. In-house does not pick up until later. In any case, it is important to realize 1l hiring is a crap shoot so spread your tentacles wide.

As to your later question, top 20% MVP will not get fucked unless they decide to bid only on DC and a smaller market like Chicago or SF.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm

What does "interesting resume" mean? exactly who would be interested?

What market(s) are you looking in?

It might still be early to count yourself out of all paid positions. I remember some interview requests going out in February last year. Don't sit around waiting for a paid position though, you really should be applying to unpaid positions too.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes, the economy is poor enough that firms don't want to waste 100k+ wining and dining training your ignorant 1L asses for no apparent benefit. Hard to believe, isn't it?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Well, with that attitude, who knows why you're not getting job offers? :roll:

More seriously, there are very very few paying 1L summer gigs. Without knowing where you were applying, no one can say what the issue was with your applications so far. But lots of people who don't get paying 1L gigs get 2L SAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:51 pm

bdubs wrote:What does "interesting resume" mean? exactly who would be interested?

It might still be early to count yourself out of all paid positions. I remember some interview requests going out in February last year. Don't sit around waiting for a paid position though, you really should be applying to unpaid positions too.

so if my only goals are -

1.) 160k set up after law school
2.) have a potential stream of income (never lower than 300 and sometimes as much as 2k) if i work about 3-4 hours per day.

what can i do that will look good if i'm not getting paid but still have time to support myself?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:51 pm

I finished #4 in my class (strong regional T1). I thought 1L SA was a good shot. I've got some interviews lined up, but I've also written to a ton of people and got no reply, so it's starting to hit me that I'm going to have to fight for an SA and may fail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm

bdubs wrote:What does "interesting resume" mean? exactly who would be interested?

1.) proven ability to bring in business and manage people
2.) humility on it based on older jobs.
3.) good grades.

nyc, dc, la

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm

The economy is only that bad if you are not top 50 % T14 or top 5-10% in the next tier or incredibly lucky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Economy is just hideously bad

I'm also 1L at MVP and within top 8-10%. eng background, HYP UG, 2 years of work at HUGE tech company...and 1 firm interview

granted, I'm gunning for a major market

but yeah...you're not alone

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Economy is just hideously bad

I'm also 1L at MVP and within top 8-10%. eng background, HYP UG, 2 years of work at HUGE tech company...and 1 firm interview

yeah if somebody told me that top 10% at mvp wouldn't cut it, i wouldn't have gone to law school. it sucks and is a lot of money and oh is it terrible b/w the work and the competition and sitting all day reading. it's horrible. i went because i was told the economy sucks and only top 3rd at mvp get big law. if this isn't even true, well then, they should all close down. i came because i was pretty confident i could get top third and even better if i tried.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

yeah if somebody told me that top 10% at mvp wouldn't cut it, i wouldn't have gone to law school. it sucks and is a lot of money and oh is it terrible b/w the work and the competition and sitting all day reading. it's horrible. i went because i was told the economy sucks and only top 3rd at mvp get big law. if this isn't even true, well then, they should all close down. i came because i was pretty confident i could get top third and even better if i tried.

WTF are you guys talking about. There are basically no 1L biglaw jobs. You will be fine next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:03 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

WTF are you guys talking about. There are basically no 1L biglaw jobs. You will be fine next year.

i am going to hold you personally to this statement convincing me to suck up the hell hole again and not drop out. if i stay in the top 20% and keep my looks, i am going to sue you for this misleadingness shenanigan.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:03 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

TITCR.

When you take out diversity / neoptism 1L SAs it looks even worse.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1.) proven ability to bring in business and manage people
2.) humility on it based on older jobs.
3.) good grades.

nyc, dc, la

1) Not really a selling point for SAs
2) What you interpret as humility may be seen as stupidity.
3) Grades are not nearly as important for 1Ls as they are for 2Ls.

New York might have some opportunities, but you're going to have to cast an extremely wide net. The other markets are not likely to turn up anything, particularly from what i'm guessing is M or V.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Paid 1L jobs are rare as fuck even for people at the top of the class at T14s. Plenty of T14 top 10%ers don't get paid gigs.

The economy is bad and you have a unrealistic impression of 1L hiring.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Did you apply to IP boutiques (i.e. probably focused on patent prosecution) or just NLJ 250? You really should have a 1L SA at an IP boutique in the bag

chem

Postby chem » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 pm

bdubs wrote:

Did you apply to IP boutiques (i.e. probably focused on patent prosecution) or just NLJ 250? You really should have a 1L SA at an IP boutique in the bag

Not that poster, but is there a list somewhere of IP boutiques?

Return to “Legal Employment”