LS Prof suggests cutting new lawyer pay as a fix ...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
reasonable_man

LS Prof suggests cutting new lawyer pay as a fix ...

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am

--LinkRemoved--

I have a better idea. Let's cut law professor salaries (especially the salaries of the professors that have practiced for less than 120 days in their entire career). This will significantly decrease the cost of the degree, which, in turn, should make it easier for young lawyers to pay back their debt.

cinephile

Re: LS Prof suggests cutting new lawyer pay as a fix ...

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 am

Law professors are some of the most deluded people I have ever had the misfortune to know.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:02 am

cinephile wrote:Law professors are some of the most deluded people I have ever had the misfortune to know.

I had an LS prof that actually practiced for a long time who used to warn us that not all professors had an actual handle on what it means to practice law and to be thoughtful about which advice to follow (you know - the type of professor that would tell you turn down a paying summer gig to study abroad with him/her doing international polar bear protection theory seminars in Europe). Or the types that would tell you about how things work in the "real world" or "in court" when they, in fact, have spent less time in a Court room than you have. Deluded is putting it nicely in many cases.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
cinephile wrote:Law professors are some of the most deluded people I have ever had the misfortune to know.

I had an LS prof that actually practiced for a long time who used to warn us that not all professors had an actual handle on what it means to practice law and to be thoughtful about which advice to follow (you know - the type of professor that would tell you turn down a paying summer gig to study abroad with him/her doing international polar bear protection theory seminars in Europe). Or the types that would tell you about how things work in the "real world" or "in court" when they, in fact, have spent less time in a Court room than you have. Deluded is putting it nicely in many cases.

Precisely why I tend to target adjunct professors when I can. They typically teach a much better class and it's far more useful.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 pm

ajax adonis wrote:In addition to cutting their pay to less than 150K, law profs should be required to take a break every 3 years to actually practice for 1 year. If they don't fulfill this requirement, they must give up their tenure and LS position.

I can't imagine an insurance carrier crazy enough to write a policy for these professors.

Return to “Legal Employment”