Reneging at this point as a 3L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging at this point as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 am

Accepted firm offer and working as a clerk for them now. Got a better offer in practice area that was my first choice (firm is nationally recognized for the specific niche). Love all the people at the original firm, but new offer is better paying, better exit options, etc. Making the call would be ridiculously hard for me to do--especially considering the part-time work I have been doing. How shitty would it be to do this at this point? Always been of the mind it is best to do what you say you will, keep promises, etc. But have been told by friends that it's at will employment and this could alter my career-path for the rest of my life. Very torn here and welcome advice.

TYIA

rad lulz

Re: Reneging at this point as a 3L

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 am

Same city? Different city?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 am

Would the firm have any problem firing you right now, after all your work and promising you a job, if they had sudden cash flow issues or loss of business, or maybe decided they had enough associates?

No, they wouldn't. They may be very nice people, but business is business and you need to do what's best for you. They won't have any issues finding a qualified entry-level associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 am

rad lulz wrote:Same city? Different city?

Same state, different city. (Palo Alto v San Francisco) Honestly no preference for living in either...markets are close enough people could hear about it but firm A and firm B would be hard pressed to really ever be in the same case/deal--they both specialize in niche practice areas.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 am

I agree with Kal. I'd bail.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 am

kalvano wrote:Would the firm have any problem firing you right now, after all your work and promising you a job, if they had sudden cash flow issues or loss of business, or maybe decided they had enough associates?

No, they wouldn't. They may be very nice people, but business is business and you need to do what's best for you. They won't have any issues finding a qualified entry-level associate.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:42 am

rad lulz wrote:I agree with Kal. I'd bail.

I have the feeling you are both right--guess I just need to be more Alpha about making calls like this; at the moment it is difficult to pull the trigger....Shit

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 am

This is one time the incredibly shitty state of the legal market is a good thing, at least for you OP. Take solace in the fact that there will be 100 unemployed 3Ls foaming at the mouth to replace you at the old job. It's not as if you're leaving them in a lurch where now all they can get is the bottom of the barrel. There are plenty of well qualified, smart, able 3Ls and alums out there in this economy. If you really feel you'd be hurting them by backing this late in the game, go get the resumes of a couple dozen unemployed classmates (or TLSers, for that matter) and hand them to the firm to show them you care.

If there's one thing law firms understand, it's money. They'll get it. You'd be crazy not to leave.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 am

It's not like they've never had anyone quit for a better opportunity before, and you aren't exactly leaving them high and dry two days before you're supposed to start.

Tell them now, tell them it's your dream job and you're really sorry, and offer to help train a replacement if they want you to, or to at least summarize all of your current work for everyone so they know what's done and not done.

Then say goodbye and enjoy your dream job. They have all spring and summer to find a replacement.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 am

+ 1000.

This all assumes your prospective gig knows you are bailing on a previous commitment and are OK with that, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”