Connection found at firm I'm interviewing w/... what now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Connection found at firm I'm interviewing w/... what now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:30 pm

I just found out that my friend's cousin is a highly regarded partner at a midsize boutique firm I'm interviewing w/ this week. I'm a 1L.

Is it out of line to try to get coffee with this partner before my interview to learn more about the firm?

The interview is later this week. I am not sure if that matters. I don't know if this breaks any sort of pre-interview etiquette.

Any advice is appreciated.

atcushman

Re: Connection found at firm I'm interviewing w/... what now?

Postby atcushman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Go for its but dont approach it as a "hey im interviewing later this week put in a good word!!!!" Just approach it as "hey im interested in your firm and the work you do there. I want to find out about the firms culture, focus group x yada yada yada..." typical informational interview stuff. Let him do the talking and just keep it a relaxed conversation not a hard close.

It would prob ease the tension/make the initial approach less awkward if your friend makes the initial contact or you could just say I was referred to you by X I know you are busy but was wondering if you had 15 minutes to spare for coffee. I am interested in your work and the work your firms does blah blah blah.

I have a generic kind of form letter i use in these situations pm me if you want it

Return to “Legal Employment”