Alston & Bird- Fortune's top 100 places to work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Alston & Bird- Fortune's top 100 places to work

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:21 pm

I am a little surprised to see a firm from Atlanta that is ranked as the #1 law firm in the country to work for. Is it really that good of a place to work?

Other than the small description Fortune gives, does anyone have any insight on what makes A&B so great? I wonder if junior and mid-level associates would agree with the ranking.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/2013/snapshots/23.html

rinkrat19

Re: Alston & Bird- Fortune's top 100 places to work

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a little surprised to see a firm from Atlanta that is ranked as the #1 law firm in the country to work for. Is it really that good of a place to work?

Other than the small description Fortune gives, does anyone have any insight on what makes A&B so great? I wonder if junior and mid-level associates would agree with the ranking.

Pretty sure that list is mostly based on benefits and perks.

Family-friendly perks abound at this law firm: $10,000 and 90 paid days off for adoptions; partial scholarships for on-site child care; health coverage for autism, infertility, and marriage counseling; and an entire wall dedicated to the artwork of employees' children.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a little surprised to see a firm from Atlanta that is ranked as the #1 law firm in the country to work for. Is it really that good of a place to work?

I wouldn't really give much weight to that ranking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Family-friendly perks abound at this law firm: $10,000 and 90 paid days off for adoptions; partial scholarships for on-site child care; health coverage for autism, infertility, and marriage counseling; and an entire wall dedicated to the artwork of employees' children.

So, basically if none of those perks appeal to me, it is just like any other big law firm?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

So, basically if none of those perks appeal to me, it is just like any other big law firm?
Those might not be the only perks, but in general yes. Working at a law firm is not like being a secret shopper at an amusement park.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Even an ENTIRE WALL dedicated to the artwork of employee's children? Do you have no heart?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 pm

It has great perks and benefits for a sweatshop

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 am

rad lulz wrote:It has great perks and benefits for a sweatshop

Haha this. There are screamers at A&B just like every other firm. Each firm has their own "thing" to try to separate the fact that they are -- in essence -- identical except for the names on the letterhead. A&B branded themselves the "family friendly" biglaw firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”