[Please delete] Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WhirledWorld

Bronze

[Please delete]

Post by WhirledWorld » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Re: Do lawyers ever use their law school outlines in practice?

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:00 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:I didn't use mine last summer, and I didn't know any lawyers that used theirs, but if you're a junior associate and your outlines are still up to date, I can see you using a corporate tax outline that you made yourself as a reference point.

I'm wondering if there's any value to these things beyond the bar.
At least at my school, no class that i'm aware of is jurisdiction specific. So an outline would be mainly useless, except perhaps as a starting spot to orient yourself.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Like the above poster says, if you've still got em you might use them to orient yourself with an area of law. I have seen a lot of people keep their barprep book that has the different subject matter outlines in it for that reason...don't know how much they actually reference it. I had a fellow associate ask me if I had mine so he could look something up a few months ago...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:02 pm

I graduated in 2011. The only thing I've used mine for has been as a quick reminder of what the class actually covered when I've interviewed for jobs in a particular area (i.e. skimming my Labor Law outline before interviewing for a labor law job). But in actual work (I'm a clerk), no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I graduated in 2011. The only thing I've used mine for has been as a quick reminder of what the class actually covered when I've interviewed for jobs in a particular area (i.e. skimming my Labor Law outline before interviewing for a labor law job). But in actual work (I'm a clerk), no.
Outlines from my crim pro professor apparently still circulate at the office I'm interning with right now.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm

I used my class materials all of one time over the summer and even that time was really only because of faulty memory of a case's logic.

99% of the issues you will research are way more specific and nuanced than your law school course material. If anyone could just pick up a coursebook or outline to find "the answer" then lawyers wouldn't get paid very much.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:46 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:I didn't use mine last summer, and I didn't know any lawyers that used theirs, but if you're a junior associate and your outlines are still up to date, I can see you using a corporate tax outline that you made yourself as a reference point.

I'm wondering if there's any value to these things beyond the bar.
I've looked at prior memos I wrote to give me reminders on structure. I've known another lawyer to do the same. I've also known a federal clerk I worked with to reference her school outline relating to a particular area of law.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Never. I would just pull a treatise and get what I need.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Every now and then I'll punch phrases into google to try and find authority for some obscure point of law and will find a result in an outline somebody posted online. 100% of the time the outline has been useless, but it's always funny to be in an outline trying to solve a legal question :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am

Worked part time during the year at a small criminal defense firm. I was tasked with drafting a motion to suppress based on a Fourth Amendment issue and actually did use my outline to remember the cases regarding car searches. Just a jumping off point to pull up on Westlaw and go from there. Maybe my memory is worse than other people's, but I remember concepts but not the cases that correspond.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”