Others who are trying to break into academia--

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Others who are trying to break into academia--

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 pm

For those who have been on the market... I get that it's hard. But I've been offered one of the top fellowships, and I really want to take it. Are you guys seeing Climenko/Bigelow/NYU/Columbia/Georgetown, etc. fellows who go onto the market with a couple of high quality published articles strike out? Or have a couple of offers but only at extremely undesirable places? I'm very flexible, but even I have my limits. I really want to do this, but giving up the biglaw job is scary (even though it's not what I want to be doing forever).

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Others who are trying to break into academia--

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:57 pm

I would talk to as many faculty as you can who've been involved with hiring professors in the last couple of years (and/or professors who've been hired in the last couple of years). I think they may have a better sense of how the meat market's been going than most people here. You could also talk to the fellowship offer/adminstrator and ask them for placement statistics for previous fellows - the programs have generally been around long enough to generate a track record (I think some of these programs even describe placement on their websites, e.g., Climenko does - http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/de ... llows.html). If a program *won't* give you placement numbers, that's generally a bad sign. (Make sure you find out how many fellows in a given year got jobs, where, and how many total fellows there were that year.)

FWIW, someone with one of the top fellowships and a couple high quality published articles is in about as good a position as you can get, I would think. I think just from the numbers/level of competition, yes, it is possible to strike out - and my sense is that the competition is getting tougher ITE - but it's more likely that you might end up in a visiting position (or two) and ultimately be able to move to something permanent that you liked. Nothing is guaranteed, including staying in a biglaw position, but if you want academia, that's a good position to be in, and you have to deal with the uncertainty. (Though I get that it's scary! In your shoes, though, I'd take the fellowship in a heartbeat.)

(Caveat: I haven't been on the market myself - I just used to be an academic and so I follow discussion about the market out of curiosity. So obviously take this with a grain of salt.)

Return to “Legal Employment”