Health Law Internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TurtleLaw03

Health Law Internship

Postby TurtleLaw03 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:53 am

1L seeking summer health law internship. Long term goals in litigation or enforcement (perhaps healthcare fraud or policy compliance). Currently have applications submitted with various USAOs and corporate entities in PA & MD. Interested in either Philadelphia or DC/Baltimore, possibly Pittsburgh. Does anyone on here w/ experience and/or interest in health have any suggestions on how else to proceed and where else to apply? Currently researching fed & state gov opportunities as well. Thanks.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Health Law Internship

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 am

0L here... mostly posting to make sure I look back at this later to get the answers as I am also curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 am

TurtleLaw03 wrote:1L seeking summer health law internship. Long term goals in litigation or enforcement (perhaps healthcare fraud or policy compliance). Currently have applications submitted with various USAOs and corporate entities in PA & MD. Interested in either Philadelphia or DC/Baltimore, possibly Pittsburgh. Does anyone on here w/ experience and/or interest in health have any suggestions on how else to proceed and where else to apply? Currently researching fed & state gov opportunities as well. Thanks.

You can look at hospital legal departments- I interned at a large healthcare system 1L summer, and another classmate did the same at a large hospital. Also, if the hospital is non-profit, it would most likely qualify for your school's public interest stipend if they have one, so you can offer your services for free.

As for fed jobs, I just got an email from HHS saying they're suspending their summer recruitment and reposting all the internships on usajobs.gov soon.

fluffybunny

Postby fluffybunny » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Might want to try the state bar association or ABA health law or related sections (e.g., section on aging or disability). Also AHLA was advertising a summer internship, but it might have been geared toward 2Ls. I think the AMA will take interns too.

Anonymous User wrote:You can look at hospital legal departments- I interned at a large healthcare system 1L summer, and another classmate did the same at a large hospital. Also, if the hospital is non-profit, it would most likely qualify for your school's public interest stipend if they have one, so you can offer your services for free.

+1, although I don't know about the funding.

twelveoaks

Postby twelveoaks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 am

I'm a 3L going into patent lit who has also always been interested in health law. Try applying to your state AG's office. You can pick their Health and Human Services or a related section. That's what I did my 1L summer, and I got to work on some interesting memos and briefs related to Medicaid, healthcare fraud, and civil commitment. Alternatively, you can try to apply to the NIH, CDC, FDA, or any of those related federal health agencies. Hope this helps!

Return to “Legal Employment”