Credited Response to Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nyg22

Credited Response to Offer

Postby nyg22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi all,

What is the credited response to an offer for an internship where you have other outstanding (more interesting) possibilities and you are waiting to hear back from them. For example...

"Hi X, we really enjoyed meeting you and would like to offer you a summer internship at Y"
"Wow, that is great news, thank you"

If the employer does not state you have X days to accept our offer, how do you ask for time to decide without sounding disingenuous in your interest in the position?

For example.."Wow, that is great news. I am very excited by this opportunity. As a summer internship is very meaningful experience, is it possible to received 1 week to accept this offer?".

While this response is gracious, it just appears ungrateful. Anyone have any thoughts?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Credited Response to Offer

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 pm

You can just begin by asking when they would like you to respond by. If they say, gosh, we were hoping now, then you can say something like, thank you, I was really hoping for some additional time to consider my plans. (You don't need to say "because an internship is a meaningful experience," that just sounds like you're sucking up.) They'll either give it to you or they won't. But they understand that people apply to multiple things.

(But I don't think most internships expect an answer right on the spot.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I wouldn't constrain yourself my saying "could I have one week" since if they are willing to offer you more time, then you just shortened it.

I would simply ask how long you have to accept. If they don't have a certain date then you should jump in and ask whether a certain date is ok or not.

nyg22

Postby nyg22 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks a lot. I like the "When do I need to respond by" as it assumes that it would be unusual to respond on the spot. Thanks again.

Return to “Legal Employment”