sending out Hundreds of judicial internship applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

sending out Hundreds of judicial internship applications

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Im getting ready to blast mass mail many judges (over 200) in different regions in which I have ties

is this a good idea my classmates say im crazy to send this many apps but i figure why not send out a lot in hopes of getting something

what is the TLS consensus on this?

ph14

Re: sending out Hundreds of judicial internship applications

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im getting ready to blast mass mail many judges (over 200) in different regions in which I have ties

is this a good idea my classmates say im crazy to send this many apps but i figure why not send out a lot in hopes of getting something

what is the TLS consensus on this?

Better to cast a wide net than wish you had.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't think 200 is remotely necessary, but hey, it's your choice. It's not going to hurt anything.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think 200 is remotely necessary, but hey, it's your choice. It's not going to hurt anything.

I sent out a letter to every judge in within an hours commute from where I live 117 in all, so FWIW i dont think your crazy

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:43 pm

izy223 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think 200 is remotely necessary, but hey, it's your choice. It's not going to hurt anything.

I sent out a letter to every judge in within an hours commute from where I live 117 in all, so FWIW i dont think your crazy

With what results? (not saying it's crazy, just wondering.)

izy223

Postby izy223 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
izy223 wrote:

Sent them out on monday, was waiting for a few things to fall through before i wasted time and money on postage, so no resposnses yet but PM me and if you want to wait a week before sending ill let you know my responses by next wednesday

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 pm

izy223 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
izy223 wrote:

Sent them out on monday, was waiting for a few things to fall through before i wasted time and money on postage, so no resposnses yet but PM me and if you want to wait a week before sending ill let you know my responses by next wednesday

Thanks.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 pm

What is your school and your rank? Depending on this, 200+ could be insanely unnecessary. COA/State supreme court are competitive, but I don't believe dist. ct. or other state court judges would be that hard to get.

I mass-mailed 5 fed. dist. ct. judges in my home market from a TTT and got my first choice judge.

However, as others have said, it's better to cast a wide net than regret not being more proactive in the future, I guess. You could always sort them by preference, then stagger the mailings so you don't have to spend a ton of money on postage if you get some bites.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Im at a school in the t-25 the vast majority are CoA courts

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

FWIW: MVP, Top Third. Sent out 185 Apps to a slew of Federal district courts, EDNY, SDNY, 2nd Cir COA, D.NJ, Bunch of Bankruptcy courts. Sent writing sample with apps.
Got an interview 1 business day later and two more three business days later. Got two offers within 2 weeks of sending out apps, accepted one at EDNY. **I didn't have grades when they made decisions so I guess that really wasn't a factor**

But casting a wide net isn't a bad idea. That is, if you have money to blow. Postage and paper cost a lot.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm

I sent about 85 and had an internship within three weeks of sending them. Send as many as you want and then bask in your classmates' jealousy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I sent about 85 and had an internship within three weeks of sending them. Send as many as you want and then bask in your classmates' jealousy.

OP here im taking ingoodfaith's and the others advice

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Are you guys talking about summer internships or clerkships after graduation? Do summer internships with judges pay a salary?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Summer internships, not clerkships. No, they don't pay. And at a lot of schools, they don't qualify for PI stipends.

(if you're applying for clerkships after graduation, sending hundreds of apps is credited.)

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Summer internships, not clerkships. No, they don't pay. And at a lot of schools, they don't qualify for PI stipends.

(if you're applying for clerkships after graduation, sending hundreds of apps is credited.)

This. No money, not even credits for 1Ls at my school. So, basically just doing it for the experience and networking.

BearState

Postby BearState » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Are you guys talking about summer internships or clerkships after graduation? Do summer internships with judges pay a salary?

There are some stipends awarded for minority students, but it may be late too apply to those (unsure).

The district I will be working for apparently has a fund provided by the federal bar to pay summer interns, but it is not a whole lot. Other districts may have similar programs (could be worth inquiring into).

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:51 pm

I sent about 250 resumes/cover letters on December 1st of last year (we didn't have grades at the time, so no transcripts). I sent letters to all of the judges in my state (state trial, state COA, state supreme, federal trial, federal COA). I had something lined up within a few weeks at a state trial court.

I stopped tracking the responses after I got an offer, so my numbers are definitely not exact, but I can estimate. I probably head back from about ... 30-40% of the judges. Of that 30-40%, probably 66% straight up rejected me ("I'm not taking interns" or "I already have someone"). The remaining 33% asked for additional information (usually my grades or a writing sample). A very small amount were willing to just do an interview without anything more.

That's probably confusing, but meh. Would I do it over again? Yeah, probably. I wouldn't do as many state trial courts though. The nice thing about doing so many is that it gave me piece of mind knowing I was bound to get SOMETHING. I'm not sure if I pissed off judges by not responding. Some would write me really nice letters asking for more information and I didn't did have time to respond to them. That was probably bad. Some didn't expect me to respond though (IE "If you are still interested, please mail me a transcript").

Hope this helps.

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Do you have one standard cover letter for these? Or would you tailor the cover letter to the specific judge?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 pm

always_raining wrote:Do you have one standard cover letter for these? Or would you tailor the cover letter to the specific judge?

I don't think it's worth it really to write hundreds of different cover letters, especially when you don't have anything meaningful to say really about why you want to work for that judge. I'd also keep your cover letter short and sweet.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

always_raining wrote:Do you have one standard cover letter for these? Or would you tailor the cover letter to the specific judge?

I just mail merged and changed the name/address on the top of the letter. Everything else was identical. There's no way to know what the judges do. Just tell them you want to do judge-y things. And you like to read and write.

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:20 pm

ph14 wrote:

I don't think it's worth it really to write hundreds of different cover letters, especially when you don't have anything meaningful to say really about why you want to work for that judge. I'd also keep your cover letter short and sweet.

Thanks. I'm getting zero help at my school concerning judicial internships (or externships).

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 pm

always_raining wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Thanks. I'm getting zero help at my school concerning judicial internships (or externships).

That's why they invented TLS.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I think it's more helpful to just pick up the phone and call every Judge's chambers that you're interested in and /ask/ if they are taking interns before you send them anything. Maybe this is slower but who wants to waste that much postage? Because when you do mail something you want to mail your cover letter, resume, transcript, and 10 page writing sample in one go.

Also I think they pay more attention to you when you make a phone call and their clerk gets to know you.

Return to “Legal Employment”