NYC Summer Associate Housing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Summer Associate Housing

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Anyone have any tips/websites/etc for finding a sublet for the summer in Manhattan?

aces

Re: NYC Summer Associate Housing

Postby aces » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:37 pm

A lot of the schools (NYU, Columbia, New School, etc.) in the area have summer residency programs, which have the benefit of usually being able to accommodate your exact start/end-date without much difficulty. Most rooms are singles in suites, but NYU and Columbia have some good studios as well. You might end up with annoying undergrad roommates and it might be a little more expensive than finding a roommate through Craigslist, but you're also guaranteed a clean, furnished room (including kitchen) in a building with a doorman. You'll also have a non-scummy landlord and most of the locations are reasonably convenient.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm

aces wrote:A lot of the schools (NYU, Columbia, New School, etc.) in the area have summer residency programs, which have the benefit of usually being able to accommodate your exact start/end-date without much difficulty. Most rooms are singles in suites, but NYU and Columbia have some good studios as well. You might end up with annoying undergrad roommates and it might be a little more expensive than finding a roommate through Craigslist, but you're also guaranteed a clean, furnished room (including kitchen) in a building with a doorman. You'll also have a non-scummy landlord and most of the locations are reasonably convenient.

I have checked NYU's housing, but my SA begins in the first half of May and runs through the first week in August. NYU doesn't cover a stay that long. I will check on Columbia and New School. Thanks. Definitely has to be a studio/1 BR as my spouse will be coming along

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:12 pm

I stayed at a School of Visual Arts dorm. I had a room + bathroom/kitchen to myself in a great location for about $2100/month. Quiet building and free laundry. No extra utilities or anything. The NYU dorms were also too late for me as well, but SVA dorms open a week or two earlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I stayed at a School of Visual Arts dorm. I had a room + bathroom/kitchen to myself in a great location for about $2100/month. Quiet building and free laundry. No extra utilities or anything. The NYU dorms were also too late for me as well, but SVA dorms open a week or two earlier.

Thanks. That may work. They are earlier than NYU, but still not early enough. But crashing on a friend's couch for a week and then sending for the spouse may just work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 pm

What would you all consider to be a reasonable price to pay for the entire summer? I know some people pay for utilities, broker's fees, etc., so I'm trying to figure out what's a good all-in limit.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:What would you all consider to be a reasonable price to pay for the entire summer? I know some people pay for utilities, broker's fees, etc., so I'm trying to figure out what's a good all-in limit.

Um... it depends what neighborhood you want to live in, what degree of privacy you want, how nice the accommodations are, etc. Last summer an NYU affiliated dorm was I believe $3700 all inclusive for 12 weeks. If you want an average studio in midtown or downtown it should run 2000-2500 total per month. I was surprised to hear that some other summers had paid a month's rent to a broker for a 10 or 12 week sublet. That's definitely not the rule.

bld2414

Postby bld2414 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:34 am

I am a NYU 2L with a SA position outside of NYC. My wife and I will be looking to lease our place out for the summer.

Feel free to PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 am

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What would you all consider to be a reasonable price to pay for the entire summer? I know some people pay for utilities, broker's fees, etc., so I'm trying to figure out what's a good all-in limit.

Um... it depends what neighborhood you want to live in, what degree of privacy you want, how nice the accommodations are, etc. Last summer an NYU affiliated dorm was I believe $3700 all inclusive for 12 weeks. If you want an average studio in midtown or downtown it should run 2000-2500 total per month. I was surprised to hear that some other summers had paid a month's rent to a broker for a 10 or 12 week sublet. That's definitely not the rule.

Many places I've looked into require half-month's rent as broker's fee for a summer rental. I think this may be more of a rule if you're not looking to go the dorm route.

sharkweek

Postby sharkweek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am

*Edited Post*
Last edited by sharkweek on Tue May 28, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm

sharkweek wrote:I stayed in the SVA dorms last summer. Nothing glamorous, but super cheap and convenient. Their dates exactly matched my 10 week summer and I paid $3100 for the ENTIRE summer (bills, internet, everything included). It's just a basic furnished room, but you do get your own bathroom. I stayed in the one on 23rd and Lex but they have a few different buildings I think. They have a no alcohol policy but it is "loosely enforced." And if you do decide to stay there don't be tricked into paying more for a "large single," the sizes all vary and the rooms my friends had that were larges looked no different than my regular room.

No shit? I'm surprised I didn't run into you amidst the numerous fashion school girls.

And yeah, OP - if you stay in the SVA Gramercy Hall, you have access to the park, which is a small but cool amenity.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 pm

sharkweek wrote:I stayed in the SVA dorms last summer. Nothing glamorous, but super cheap and convenient. Their dates exactly matched my 10 week summer and I paid $3100 for the ENTIRE summer (bills, internet, everything included). It's just a basic furnished room, but you do get your own bathroom. I stayed in the one on 23rd and Lex but they have a few different buildings I think. They have a no alcohol policy but it is "loosely enforced." And if you do decide to stay there don't be tricked into paying more for a "large single," the sizes all vary and the rooms my friends had that were larges looked no different than my regular room.

Was the place you stayed at relatively clean, i.e. not too many, if any, rats, roaches, etc?

sharkweek

Postby sharkweek » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 pm

*edited post*
Last edited by sharkweek on Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Yeah, I never saw roaches, but I did have a rat come into my room once the first week I was there. Largely, the SVA dorm is dated but solid.

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Bump. I am still considering various options. Anyone else find a good place to sublease from?

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm

If you don't mind dorm-style and a few drunk Europeans, the loftstell hostel in Brooklyn is about $600 a month. Was nice to not be blowing all my Sa money on rent.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Cooper Union also does summer housing in east village. Knew a few who did that and they liked it alright.

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:36 pm

sub'd, looking for may 20 - july 26

ivyhopeful56

Postby ivyhopeful56 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

Has anyone or know anyone that has had experience with the 3E3 Dorms (3 East 3rd)? I see them listed on multiple school websites and they seem ok.

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:27 pm

Also looking for the mid-May to early-Aug sublet option. Anyone have suggestions or know of availability?

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:47 am

I checked NYU Summer Housing. Prices are very reasonable. Obv not as cheap as you could get in Brooklyn with roommate(s), but really not that much more and a lot closer to work.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Does anyone have any experience with living in an NYCIntern Midtown apartment (see http://www.nycintern.org/)? The rates seem reasonable, the location is great, and the applications seems to allow for them to match you with compatible roommates.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:15 am

ATR wrote:Does anyone have any experience with living in an NYCIntern Midtown apartment (see http://www.nycintern.org/)? The rates seem reasonable, the location is great, and the applications seems to allow for them to match you with compatible roommates.

If you're pulling in 30k+ as a summer associate in NYC, you do not need to, nor should you want to, live in a 1BR with 2 other people or a studio with 1 other person. I mean, come on, bunk beds???

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 am

Sup Kid wrote:
ATR wrote:Does anyone have any experience with living in an NYCIntern Midtown apartment (see http://www.nycintern.org/)? The rates seem reasonable, the location is great, and the applications seems to allow for them to match you with compatible roommates.

If you're pulling in 30k+ as a summer associate in NYC, you do not need to, nor should you want to, live in a 1BR with 2 other people or a studio with 1 other person. I mean, come on, bunk beds???

Ah, I didn't realize that the apartments housed three people in one room... I read that wrong. Definitely not living there.

lbcnyc

Postby lbcnyc » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I have a fantastic studio in a white glove building on the UWS that is available starting April 26th. I can provide photos and more info for anyone interested! Feel free to email me directly: bethclayton8@gmail.com

Return to “Legal Employment”