Moving from Government (SEC and DOJ) to Big Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Spinoza

Moving from Government (SEC and DOJ) to Big Law

Postby Spinoza » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

How hard is it to move from government to big law? Particularly from (1) DOJ and (2) SEC.

Does it matter if you work in big law first?

thesealocust

Re: Moving from Government (SEC and DOJ) to Big Law

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 am

It can be hard unless you have a major position in the agency. There isn't recruitment of midlevels or senior associates from the gov as a matter of course, but important government types (with or without prior firm experience) frequently jump into big firms as partners.

It depends on the market though, it appears much easier from DC agencies to DC firms.

Do your own due diligence: http://www.opensecrets.org/revolving/

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 am

Well, the SEC doesnt hire new associates. So you would be switching from a firm to the SEC, not the other way around. Its probably easy to switch back again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:20 pm

phonepro wrote:Well, the SEC doesnt hire new associates. So you would be switching from a firm to the SEC, not the other way around. Its probably easy to switch back again.

Not 100% true. The department I will be with this summer hired 3 new hires last year from the Summer Honors Program. Not common but it does happen.

MinnieM

Postby MinnieM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Can you share which department hired from the Honors Program? Do you know if any other departments hired interns?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 pm

MinnieM wrote:Can you share which department hired from the Honors Program? Do you know if any other departments hired interns?

I don't want to out the dept. because my group doesn't take a ton of summers. I will say it wasn't investment management or div of enforcement. Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a situation where at the end of the summer they offered you a position. More like you let them know you are very interested in returning after graduation if given the opportunity. If you did good work and they like you, later in the year, if it looks like they have spaces available they will reach out to you.

Also my understanding is while the Advance Commitment program is pretty lackluster, it is still around and a few students do get jobs that way.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MinnieM wrote:Can you share which department hired from the Honors Program? Do you know if any other departments hired interns?

I don't want to out the dept. because my group doesn't take a ton of summers. I will say it wasn't investment management or div of enforcement. Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a situation where at the end of the summer they offered you a position. More like you let them know you are very interested in returning after graduation if given the opportunity. If you did good work and they like you, later in the year, if it looks like they have spaces available they will reach out to you.

Also my understanding is while the Advance Commitment program is pretty lackluster, it is still around and a few students do get jobs that way.

Were the people hired LL.Ms or former registered persons? I've heard of that happening rarely in TM and OCIE.

Return to “Legal Employment”