Charlotte diveristy 1l

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Charlotte diveristy 1l

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Does anyone know what the general grade cutoff a are to have a shot at the Charlotte diversity fellowship program for 1ls

TTH

Re: Charlotte diveristy 1l

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm

To the extent that this isn't very clever anti-AA trolling, I imagine the Bar Association or your school's CSO could give you that information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

TTH wrote:To the extent that this isn't very clever anti-AA trolling, I imagine the Bar Association or your school's CSO could give you that information.

No trolling intended at all I'm an aa male who applied for the program just trying to see if any alums of the program or anyone with more knowledge might have this info

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 am

Don't think it's all that high. I made it to final interviews (but cancelled b/c I accepted another offer) with a first semester GPA of 3.54 (+/- 0.2...can't remember). At the time I was at a t40. They are suckers for ties to NC...

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Grade cutoffs, to the extent there are them, depend on the school. The program loves T14 students with NC (and more specifically Charlotte) ties and are willing to go deeper than at UNC or Wake. They are constantly reevaluating how they select 1Ls for the program though because most do not return the following year as 2L SAs, thus defeating the purpose of the program. If I recall correctly, it has been about four years since someone from the program started as an associate at one of the participating firms.

Its a pretty sweet program if you want Charlotte biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:38 pm

moandersen wrote:Grade cutoffs, to the extent there are them, depend on the school. The program loves T14 students with NC (and more specifically Charlotte) ties and are willing to go deeper than at UNC or Wake. They are constantly reevaluating how they select 1Ls for the program though because most do not return the following year as 2L SAs, thus defeating the purpose of the program. If I recall correctly, it has been about four years since someone from the program started as an associate at one of the participating firms.

Do you know how they look upon without charlotte ties... I have no ties but Charlotte is an area I would be interested in going to

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
moandersen wrote:Grade cutoffs, to the extent there are them, depend on the school. The program loves T14 students with NC (and more specifically Charlotte) ties and are willing to go deeper than at UNC or Wake. They are constantly reevaluating how they select 1Ls for the program though because most do not return the following year as 2L SAs, thus defeating the purpose of the program. If I recall correctly, it has been about four years since someone from the program started as an associate at one of the participating firms.

Do you know how they look upon without charlotte ties... I have no ties but Charlotte is an area I would be interested in going to

If you have NC ties that helps, but no ties to either NC or Charlotte will hurt your chances unless you have a really good answer to 'why charlotte?' But like I said, the selection process has/is being reevaluated to try and retain those 1L participants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:42 pm

yeah, totally want to echo the point about retention. i know a ton of people (around 10) who did this program and maybe only one or two are returning. because the program & employers are well-regarded, many students used them as spring boards to get into better markets/higher ranked firms. i think your best shot if you have no NC/Charlotte ties is to try to convince them that you are there to stay...

moandersen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have NC ties that helps, but no ties to either NC or Charlotte will hurt your chances unless you have a really good answer to 'why charlotte?' But like I said, the selection process has/is being reevaluated to try and retain those 1L participants.

Return to “Legal Employment”