ranking at uva

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ranking at uva

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:52 pm

d
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Re: ranking at uva

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm

If you don't have some kind of official word from your school/CSO about what the percentiles are, you can't list it on your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm

school doesn't give that but ppl know, ad i think post it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Do not post such info. on your resume. If school does not release it, you are just asking for trouble. They do that for a reason, not because they are not good enough at plugging numbers on excel and coming up with student ranks!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm

SIS at least used to publish a transcript for you which noted that historically a 3.48 was roughly top 25%.

I don't know if they still do, but regardless that is the only information you can disclose about your rank. I can tell you that a 3.65 is ballpark top 10% most years at UVA, but you can't include something like that on a resume and UVA doesn't rank so you have nothing else to go by.

It's fine though, your grades are great and employers (who see dozens to hundreds of resumes every year) will know it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is the cut off for percentiles inside the top 20% at uva?

posting anonymously because don't wanna be outed.

want to know what to list on resume.

Same grade at UVA. Plugged into excel, roughly top 12%. I hope you leave DC to me! OCS said not to put ranking on resume, but the unofficial transcript they put out has the historic "3.48 is distinguished performance, 25%" stuff

Congrats

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what is the cut off for percentiles inside the top 20% at uva?

Same grade at UVA. Plugged into excel, roughly top 12%. I hope you leave DC to me! OCS said not to put ranking on resume, but the unofficial transcript they put out has the historic "3.48 is distinguished performance, 25%" stuff

Congrats

op here. i wish there was a way to pm. i'm not against making myself known, but just don't want to make other ppl feel bad who know me.

i was hoping for better given that i got sick grades in the classes i never understood till the last day. congrats to you too. is it really 12%? i figured listing 15% would be safe but now regret applying with that on my resume if it's not a proper thing to do (i doubt the 3% matters much). should i update the firms i applied to that this isn't 100% verified?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats

op here. i wish there was a way to pm. i'm not against making myself known, but just don't want to make other ppl feel bad who know me.

i was hoping for better given that i got sick grades in the classes i never understood till the last day. congrats to you too. is it really 12%? i figured listing 15% would be safe but now regret applying with that on my resume if it's not a proper thing to do (i doubt the 3% matters much). should i update the firms i applied to that this isn't 100% verified?

UVA does not rank, and thus you CANNOT LIST ANY RANK ON YOUR RESUME. When people do math to suggest things like XYZ GPA is approximately ABC rank, it is based on statistical analysis of old data - data from prior years. It's entirely possible a 3.593 puts you in the top 1% or is below median, because UVA does not rank and does not release any ranking information. There is no way to know.

As for what to do now... that's a thorny ethical issue. Be as much of a boyscout as you want to be and considering talking with career services, but what you did was unambiguously wrong.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats

It really shocks me that someone with that sort of GPA will 1) think it is a good idea to put ranking when the school does not provide you with ranking, and 2) believe it is EXACTLY 12% on the basis of excel standard deviation that another Anon has provided.

By all means, congrats, you have done well, definitely at the top of your class and may the law gods bless you with big law money, but take it easy...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats

It really shocks me that someone with that sort of GPA will 1) think it is a good idea to put ranking when the school does not provide you with ranking, and 2) believe it is EXACTLY 12% on the basis of excel standard deviation that another Anon has provided.

By all means, congrats, you have done well, definitely at the top of your class and may the law gods bless you with big law money, but take it easy...

didn't believe it. didn't think we don't get rankings. rounded to what i assumed i was definitely in (rounding down prob). i just got emails that i will be considered depending on class rank so wanted to provide them with a conservatively realistic gage. obv will fix.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 pm

This is an honor code violation at my school. If your school doesn't officially rank, you should not (and generally are not allowed to) include it on your resume. I would just take it off the resume going forward, but don't worry about contacting employers who already have your resume. If they ask about it in an interview or a follow-up, then explain that it was your estimation and isn't official. Just hope that you don't have a UVA alum looking at your resume...

Return to “Legal Employment”