On Campus Interview: How to Keep Grades from Other Students?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

On Campus Interview: How to Keep Grades from Other Students?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm

So, my g.p.a. isn't stellar and I haven't shared that with anyone in my class. There's a public service focused job fair happening on my campus in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if there's a chance I might have to explain my grades to employers (mostly gov't and non-profit but only a few have asked for grades). So, any advice on how to do this discretely without letting my grades slip to all my nosy classmates? Or do employers even question you much about grades in a situation like this?

I'm thinking of leaving my g.p.a./rank off my resume completely (below median) and I'm thinking most employers will focus on my PI experience which is pretty extensive. Obviously, the plan is to kill my exams and be in a better place next semester. Until then though, I'd rather not let people wrap their smug selves in superiority while talking shit (insert law school is high school reference here). Alright, thoughts/advice?

Anonymous User

Re: On Campus Interview: How to Keep Grades from Other Students?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Why would your classmates hear your explanation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 pm

OP here

Well, I guess I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I believe it will be a lot of open tables like most career fairs. Some of my classmates will definitely be at the fair (not sure if it's just for students at my school or is open to other students as well). Here's how I'd imagine it going:

Employer: "We're interested in your experience. What is your G.P.A./rank?"

Me (near a classmate who can hear the conversation): Errrrm................

I should be clear, there are interviews as well as general information people who weren't selected for interviews can come look at. Not sure how private these interviews will be, but I'm just totally unfamiliar with OCI events.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 pm

They won't do that.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Well the easy way to avoid this is by putting your GPA on your resume. This is a standard information point. If you don't have it on, the assumption is that you have below a 3.0.

Also, the only reason your classmates would care what your GPA is is if you have been a complete jerk or have monopolized class discussions. Otherwise they are going to be focused on finding themselves a job and be tuning out other conversations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:They won't do that.

OP here

They won't ask me about grades? That would be a relief, but are you sure? Do they just normally leave grades off the table? I'd think the employers would be curious about my grades because most of them only had my resume when I applied (didn't have grades released yet).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

TooOld4This wrote:Well the easy way to avoid this is by putting your GPA on your resume. This is a standard information point. If you don't have it on, the assumption is that you have below a 3.0.

Also, the only reason your classmates would care what your GPA is is if you have been a complete jerk or have monopolized class discussions. Otherwise they are going to be focused on finding themselves a job and be tuning out other conversations.

OP here

Yeah, it's a little below that. So I should leave it off then? I thought leaving it off might raise questions. And I'd like to think I've been cool to everyone in my class, but my section is a bit over zealous in comparing grades at the moment. I'd just rather keep it from them until mine is a little higher.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Who cares? Your grades are your grades. Don't use them to gauge the relative worth of yourself as a human being.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:06 pm

They're not going to ask you about grades in the middle of a crowded room full of other people, no. (Unless they're really assholes, I guess.) Depending on the employer, they won't care about grades at all. (some PI employers, like PDs, generally don't care); if they haven't already asked, they're not likely to. But they're also not going to engage in a full-blown interview in the middle of a crowded room full of other people.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:Well the easy way to avoid this is by putting your GPA on your resume. This is a standard information point. If you don't have it on, the assumption is that you have below a 3.0.

OP here

Yeah, it's a little below that. So I should leave it off then? I thought leaving it off might raise questions. And I'd like to think I've been cool to everyone in my class, but my section is a bit over zealous in comparing grades at the moment. I'd just rather keep it from them until mine is a little higher.

If you are close to the 3.0 mark, it is a tough call -- what is median? If you had a 2.94 where median is 3.0, thn I would put it on (with the median number). If you have a 2.76 and median is 3.4, then you might as well leave it off and hope that either the employer doesn't care about grades or, if they do, they will assume you are a clueless 1L and keep reading your resume and find something that they like.

I would work on owning your grades, though. Being ashamed of them will show in an interview. You need to be able to talk about them freely and show that you know how you've wound up here and that you are confident that your skills will grow and be of value to employers.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:They're not going to ask you about grades in the middle of a crowded room full of other people, no. (Unless they're really assholes, I guess.) Depending on the employer, they won't care about grades at all. (some PI employers, like PDs, generally don't care); if they haven't already asked, they're not likely to. But they're also not going to engage in a full-blown interview in the middle of a crowded room full of other people.

I can see it happening without malice. If the person collecting resumes is jst absentmindedly looking it over quickly for completeness, it might be asked. Likewise, if GPA is necessary, they might ask. But, no, I would not expect a full blown public discussion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm

OP here:

TooOld4This wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:They're not going to ask you about grades in the middle of a crowded room full of other people, no. (Unless they're really assholes, I guess.) Depending on the employer, they won't care about grades at all. (some PI employers, like PDs, generally don't care); if they haven't already asked, they're not likely to. But they're also not going to engage in a full-blown interview in the middle of a crowded room full of other people.

I can see it happening without malice. If the person collecting resumes is jst absentmindedly looking it over quickly for completeness, it might be asked. Likewise, if GPA is necessary, they might ask. But, no, I would not expect a full blown public discussion.

This is what's going through my head too.

TooOld4This wrote:
If you are close to the 3.0 mark, it is a tough call -- what is median? If you had a 2.94 where median is 3.0, thn I would put it on (with the median number). If you have a 2.76 and median is 3.4, then you might as well leave it off and hope that either the employer doesn't care about grades or, if they do, they will assume you are a clueless 1L and keep reading your resume and find something that they like.

I would work on owning your grades, though. Being ashamed of them will show in an interview. You need to be able to talk about them freely and show that you know how you've wound up here and that you are confident that your skills will grow and be of value to employers.

My G.P.A. is about 0.4 below median. I totally agree I should find a way to comfortably talk about grades if they come up, but I'm trying to do it without discussing them. I thought about maybe bringing transcripts to pass to them and leave with my application or writing it down and passing it to the interviewer if asked. And if I have to say something verbally, maybe I could say, "We'll my grades aren't quite where I want them to be, but I've reflected on some of the things I did during my exams and I'm much more confident about what to do this semester."

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 pm

The better question is why the hell do you care if your classmates know your grades?

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 pm

"They're not going to ask you about grades in the middle of a crowded room full of other people, no. (Unless they're really assholes, I guess.)"

Correction, every employer in the legal field is an asshole - I have a crappy median gpa and in an open room within earshot of everyone the employer shouted "guess you really messed up x class" or "wow you didn't like y class this much, what happened" - this happened more than once, at different fairs. I wouldn't worry about your classmates, I WOULD worry about your answers and addressing the gpa issue - I guarantee you, you will be asked about it.

ps: why are you still in law school, listen from a miserable, jobless, in debt 3l, drop out now.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm

FWIW, half of the class has about the same grades as you. Another 25% aren't doing that much better than you. And the final 25% probably assume that you, along with everyone else in the class, are below them anyway. Honestly, I think you should be open about your grades-- it's a really good way to practice separating your own sense or your intelligence and worth from your perception of how other people evaluate you. I also think you'll come to the stunning realization that no one cares about how you did, they only care about how they did.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 pm

1. Leave your rank and GPA off the resume if you're below median.
2. Be prepared to answer the question: "Are your grades an accurate demonstration of your abilities?"
3. Try not to stress out if recruiters do ask you for your grades, just be honest and focus on interviewing well. You'd be surprised how much good interviewing can help to overcome low grades.

EDIT: Also remember that anyone who makes fun of other people because of their grades is a douchebag who probably has self-estem issues and an inferiority complex.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 pm

shock259 wrote:Who cares? Your grades are your grades. Don't use them to gauge the relative worth of yourself as a human being.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 pm

OP here:

BullShitWithBravado wrote:1. Leave your rank and GPA off the resume if you're below median.
2. Be prepared to answer the question: "Are your grades an accurate demonstration of your abilities?"
3. Try not to stress out if recruiters do ask you for your grades, just be honest and focus on interviewing well. You'd be surprised how much good interviewing can help to overcome low grades.

EDIT: Also remember that anyone who makes fun of other people because of their grades is a douchebag who probably has self-estem issues and an inferiority complex.

This is my plan for game day. And I definitely get number 3. The worrying about classmates learning what my grades are mostly stems from just circumventing needless drama. Too many of my classmates think grades undeniably demonstrate your ability as a lawyer. You know, they're 1L's who think they're hot shit now that they have their 1st semester grades back. And that the lines in lawyering ability have been drawn. I get that I'll bring my grades up and my self-esteem is solid, but I'd just rather not deal with the inevitable gossip that will ensue. Wouldn't help my mindset for improving this semester.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got it from here 8)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:"They're not going to ask you about grades in the middle of a crowded room full of other people, no. (Unless they're really assholes, I guess.)"

Correction, every employer in the legal field is an asshole - I have a crappy median gpa and in an open room within earshot of everyone the employer shouted "guess you really messed up x class" or "wow you didn't like y class this much, what happened" - this happened more than once, at different fairs. I wouldn't worry about your classmates, I WOULD worry about your answers and addressing the gpa issue - I guarantee you, you will be asked about it.

ps: why are you still in law school, listen from a miserable, jobless, in debt 3l, drop out now.

:oops: Sorry about that! Maybe employers at the fairs I've been to are nicer?
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 pm

shock259 wrote:Who cares? Your grades are your grades. Don't use them to gauge the relative worth of yourself as a human being.

problem is everyone uses them to gauge ur worth

gahgahblacksheep

Postby gahgahblacksheep » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 am

Good thing you don't go to Michigan. :)

--LinkRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”