optional interview? what does this mean??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swtlilsoni

optional interview? what does this mean??

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 pm

I received a mail from a judge (who happens to live quite far from me) saying that they would be happy to interview me for a summer position if I am in the area, but that they wouldn't want me to make a trip out to interview.

What does this mean? I won't be in the area...but should I make a trip out anyway? Or is it not worth it?

cinephile

Re: optional interview? what does this mean??

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Why not offer to phone/skype?

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 pm

cinephile wrote:Why not offer to phone/skype?

I have no idea it was never offered

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 pm

But you, in turn, could offer to do a phone/skype interview.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 pm

do you think that would look bad? i wouldn't mind flying out .....but if i offer the phone interview i can't fly out...so i have to choose one...fly out...or offer the phone interview (with no guarantee the judge will accept my proposal)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:do you think that would look bad? i wouldn't mind flying out .....but if i offer the phone interview i can't fly out...so i have to choose one...fly out...or offer the phone interview (with no guarantee the judge will accept my proposal)

You're a 1L, correct? It's not worth flying out for an unpaid summer internship. The judge will understand if you email back and say that you won't be traveling there anytime soon, but are available for interview via phone or skype.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 am

I feel like this could be one of two possibilities though:
1) the judge is being polite and letting me know that I'm not pressured to take an expensive trip out
2) the judge isn't too serious about me, so he doesn't think it's worth it for me to take the trip because he is just interviewing me just to see, but isn't actually serious about me

If it's 1, I would actually consider going because although it's unpaid, it's a position I really want.
If it's 2, then I would think twice because it seems like it would be pointless.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwhere759

Postby underwhere759 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:03 pm

If you have the money to fly, and don't mind doing it, I would actually just do that.
I have gotten these kinds of letters before and generally speaking they just arent in a position to pay for you to come to them to be an intern.

I'm currently clerking for a state court judge and continue working hard at networking and such as I look for a job for next year. So this is advice coming from someone who has done all these seemingly "crazy" things in the past and sees the long term benefits.

If working for this judge is something you would be really interested in doing, then definitely make the trip out there.

Sure, it is a big effort to make and maybe a big expenditure, but ITE things are still hard. A good job with a judge, even just for a 1L summer can make a big difference for your future.

That is just my take.

Return to “Legal Employment”