Lateraling & 3L classes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
somewhatwayward

Lateraling & 3L classes

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm

I go to CLS, and I am going to work at a V5 firm's corporate dep't next year. We have had some knowledgeable posters say that your grades can matter in your first lateral move (I have decent grades right now - 3.5), but what about the classes that you take? If I am on the lateral market (firms or in-house positions) three or four years from now, will they care if my classes for 3L year are kinda "soft" and mostly not related to corporate law?

I took Sec Reg last semester, and I am in Tax right now but Tax is killing me (9:30AM Mon-Thurs) and I am wondering if it will matter if I drop it and take a seminar on like Wrongful Convictions or Mental Health Law or whatever instead. Another option would be taking Corp. Restructuring (9 AM but only twice a week). Is anyone else worrying about this? /neurotic law student

Anonymous User

Re: Lateraling & 3L classes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 pm

I heard grades only matters if you lateral 1-2 years in (suboptimal time to lateral), but not if you lateral 4+ years in (a more optimal time to lateral). I assume classes don't at all matter.

Why would an employer care what you learned 2 years ago in a class? You probably forgot it all, just like they did.

de5igual

Re: Lateraling & 3L classes

Postby de5igual » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Seems like a good question to ask itbdvorm or one of the other "V10/V15 taking questions" threads

Return to “Legal Employment”