Love story

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rhidan

Love story

Postby Rhidan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I searched the forum and didn't find much on this. Here's my story:

Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy and girl want to stay together after law school. Both boy and girl are top 10% 2Ls at a T14. Boy has 2L SA at a top firm in market on West Coast (let's say LA). Girl has 2L SA at a top firm in market on the East Coast (let's say D.C.).

How can boy and girl best convert their SAs/grades into offers in the same market? Can love survive ITE?

dingbat

Re: Love story

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Rhidan wrote:I searched the forum and didn't find much on this. Here's my story:

Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy and girl want to stay together after law school. Both boy and girl are top 10% 2Ls at a T14. Boy has 2L SA at a top firm in market on West Coast (let's say LA). Girl has 2L SA at a top firm in market on the East Coast (let's say D.C.).

How can boy and girl best convert their SAs/grades into offers in the same market? Can love survive ITE?

The firms may allow you to change to a different office

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

They should have both gone to NYC...

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm

This is too cute.
I assume you guys are trying to land other SA possitions in the same city no? That's what you should do, you still have (hopefull) a month more to make it happen.
Time to learn love is sacrifice!

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 pm

h_jane_w wrote:This is too cute.
I assume you guys are trying to land other SA possitions in the same city no? That's what you should do, you still have (hopefull) a month more to make it happen.
Time to learn love is sacrifice!

Beyond that, you can also each bomb the other's market with clerkship apps next fall. If you guys are this serious, have you had a conversation about where you want to wind up?

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Rhidan wrote:I searched the forum and didn't find much on this. Here's my story:

Last question first: chances are it'll only work if y'all trust each other enough to give up a bird in hand for a love with no bird to give you but maybe some bird meat.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I highly doubt there are any loveable top 10% girls (or guys).

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Boy loves girl, but does girl also love boy?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

dingbat wrote:

The firms may allow you to change to a different office

This + explore clerkship options. Or just send applications after you're done with your SA and explain your situation in extremely general terms and see if you can get any bites.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

As far as finding a way to be in the same market, given your schools/grades that should be relatively easy I would think. Even if one of you can't switch offices within your current firms, if you get an offer over the summer I think you shouldn't have a problem trading firms during 3L OCI. As someone else said, one or both of you shooting for clerkships in particular markets is also a smart option.

Since both of you are obviously dedicated to each other and also take your careers seriously, I'm guessing a long distance relationship is on the table. I've been with my girlfriend faithfully and without interruption for almost 4 years, about 1.25 of which we lived together and the rest of which we've been a significant distance apart. She's on a pretty elite career path in another field and works 70+ hours a week, and I used to work similar amounts and am now obviously in law school (currently 2L, top 5% T30 - I'm only mentioning my rank to point out that I've been busy/taken law school seriously), so I think our relationship has been at least similar to what you might experience both being in biglaw. We're both (I hope!) still very happy together and are both generally romantic people and passionate about our relationship. I think both of us feel our relationship is probably the most important and meaningful thing in our lives. That said, sticking together has been a serious feat for both of us. We knew a long distance relationship would be really difficult, that success was improbable, and both of us anticipated a myriad of difficulties, but I don't think either of us could have foreseen what we'd need to do and go through to make things work. It's really astounding what happens over the course of a few years.

Anyway, if you're curious to know anything about our relationship or my thoughts on long distance relationships and/or making them work, I'd be glad to answer as best I can. HTH and isn't a strange offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”