Staying in Biglaw: Headhunters, lateraling, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarleeNme38

New

Staying in Biglaw: Headhunters, lateraling, etc.

Post by MarleeNme38 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am

saw this exchange in the ITLSS comments section:
AnonymousJanuary 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
That is still ignoring the fact that many T7 V25 biglaw associates in a city like New York will leave their first firm after 3-4 years after being kicked out or simply seeing an opportunity, and with the help of a good headhunter or other connections, will land as a 4th year associate at a slightly less prestigious biglaw firm. And then they can do it again as a 7th year and become partner at a V60-80 firm....not saying this is common, but those who are hardworking and smart networkers can probably get this done. I bet 15-20% of T7 V25 associates will end up going this route.

AnonymousJanuary 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
12;51 You are shilling the readers. The percentage of the graduating class at Harvard that becomes partner at any V250 firm is 10%. The percentage of the graduating class at Yale, Stanford and Columbia law Schools that makes partner at a V250 firm is 7%. There are not enough legal jobs to go to later in one's career, so do not count on being employed later in your career from a T7. Some people are employed, but a T7 grad cannot count on having a job later on.

Was wondering what people thought about this....I think the OP meant that with a good network and work product, a good headhunter, and a proactive attitude, 15-20% of those from T7 schools already in biglaw at a V25 firm in a city like New York, who wish to stay on in biglaw, can hop to a V50-60 firm as a fourth year associate, and then a V70-100+ as a 7-8 year associate and become partner there.

The percentages mentioned in the second post are that of the entire graduating class....so 10% of harvard grads become partners, but I am guessing only 50% start out in biglaw and not all of those wish to become partners...I would imagine that out of harvard grads (and most of the T7), those who follow the prescribed methods above that become partner are probably somewhere around 20-25%.

Happy to debate it.
Last edited by MarleeNme38 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: Staying in Biglaw: Headhunters, lateraling, etc.

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm

You pointed out the key flaw here, which is that they are comparing two different statistics (% in biglaw that becomes partners vs. % of graduating class that becomes partners). It seems reasonable that the latter would be a smaller number.

MarleeNme38

New

Post by MarleeNme38 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:You pointed out the key flaw here, which is that they are comparing two different statistics (% in biglaw that becomes partners vs. % of graduating class that becomes partners). It seems reasonable that the latter would be a smaller number.
right, but what do you think about the former number?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 pm

MarleeNme38 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:You pointed out the key flaw here, which is that they are comparing two different statistics (% in biglaw that becomes partners vs. % of graduating class that becomes partners). It seems reasonable that the latter would be a smaller number.
right, but what do you think about the former number?
That the poster pulled it out of their ass and has no evidence for it.

MarleeNme38

New

Post by MarleeNme38 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm

I dunno, I think for the narrow range of people he describes, it may be accurate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”