Anyone read this, or any book on "biglaw"?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newlawgrad

Anyone read this, or any book on "biglaw"?

Postby newlawgrad » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 am

http://apps.americanbar.org/abastore/in ... id=1620518

Wondering if its worth a read or if any exist other than Curmudgeons guide or whatever

thesealocust

Re: Anyone read this, or any book on "biglaw"?

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 am

Biglaw is probably too small for a very good book about it to exist. The market for law school books is thing and only about 10% of the population who attended law school will spend any time at a big firm, you know? Not a big market of purchasers or a big supply of potential authors...

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 am

Last edited by Agent on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justinp

Postby justinp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:52 am

Unbillable Hours

Double Billing

You can google around, I can't remember the authors. Neither of them is really a "how to succeed in biglaw"-- they're both memoir-ish things, but they seem to give a decent sense of some of the frustrations you'll likely encounter as a big firm lawyer. Good reads in any case.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 am

I read the Jungle Book and I am currently reading Your Billable Life. I didn't like Jungle Book much - it was repetitive, wordy, and rambling. Also, the author's tone was excessively negative ("YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE THE GOOD LIFE OF MAWDLES AND BAWDLES HUH? WELL YOU'RE AN IDIOT AND YOU'RE GOING TO HATE YOURSELF HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!"). And the book was published in 1999. That said, there was some good advice buried in there.

I like Your Billable Life much more. It's much more concise and the tone is much better.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 am

I bought "Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks" on the recommendation of someone here, but I haven't actually read it yet. Will probably do so after the bar/before I start. It's a thin, small book, so I can't imagine it's a long read.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am

Just a tip, I know that a lot of law libraries carry these sorts of books, so you might check out the books there before pulling the trigger on amazon.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 pm

+1

shock259 wrote:I read the Jungle Book and I am currently reading Your Billable Life. I didn't like Jungle Book much - it was repetitive, wordy, and rambling. Also, the author's tone was excessively negative ("YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO HAVE THE GOOD LIFE OF MAWDLES AND BAWDLES HUH? WELL YOU'RE AN IDIOT AND YOU'RE GOING TO HATE YOURSELF HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!"). And the book was published in 1999. That said, there was some good advice buried in there.

I like Your Billable Life much more. It's much more concise and the tone is much better.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 pm

It's a decent, quick read—along the lines of The Curmudgeon's Guide.

keg411 wrote:I bought "Swimming Lessons for Baby Sharks" on the recommendation of someone here, but I haven't actually read it yet. Will probably do so after the bar/before I start. It's a thin, small book, so I can't imagine it's a long read.

Return to “Legal Employment”