Preparing for Transactional Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pelkin000

New

Preparing for Transactional Internship

Post by pelkin000 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I have an internship with a firm lined up this summer focusing on transactional work (M&A, due diligence, etc). I would like to walk in with some fundamental knowledge so that I don't look too clueless, especially the first few weeks. Aside from suggestions for law school classes, do you have any recommendations for books or other materials that I could read to prep myself with the basics?

Thanks!

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Preparing for Transactional Internship

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Read: A Random Walk Down Wallsteet, Barbarians at the Gates, and skim the WSJ (at least the home page) off and on. If you have the opportunity to familiarize yourself with accounting and corporate finance, cool, but certainly not necessary.

You'll be clueless for far more than your first few weeks, grasshopper. But such is to be expected.

pelkin000

New

Re: Preparing for Transactional Internship

Post by pelkin000 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Excellent, thank you! I will check those out.

As for accounting and corporate finance, do you know of any decent primers on the subject? Something like a corporate finance for dummies? I'll be googling it of course, but didn't know if you had an opinion about which ones were best.

thanks again!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”