Dress code for evening reception Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Dress code for evening reception

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Going to "evening reception" for law firm. It's at a bar, and there are no directions regarding dress.

business casual? (khakis, dress shirt, sweater)

more than that?

it seems crazy to wear a suit to a one and a half hour meet and greet at a bar, though it is a pretty nice bar

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Dress code for evening reception

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Biz cas.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Based on my experience, some students will wear suits, and some will wear business casual. If being less-dressed than some people makes you uncomfortable, wear a suit, but you won't stand out in a negative way with business casual.

The one exception: If the firm itself is business formal (e.g., Cravath) in which case all the attorneys will be in suits and you may want to mirror them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Is it tonight? If so I hope to see you there, young blood ;D I'll probably start talking to anybody who put on a tux, and stick to my usual "you can't get my business card unless you're wearing a tie" policy.

In all honesty, individual opinions on this will vary. I'd do a double take at an t-shirt on a guy but I absolutely don't think a suit is mandated. I strongly prefer when firms make it clear you don't need to suit up, but all too often they don't say anything.

Be prepared for others to be wearing suits, but business casual is almost certainly acceptable and appropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”