Judicial Internship Opportunity Program (JIOP)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Judicial Internship Opportunity Program (JIOP)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 am

Has anyone who did a screener hear back about moving onto the next round?

Does anyone know the typical timeline for hearing back?

I did my screener in mid-December

Anonymous User

Re: Judicial Internship Opportunity Program (JIOP)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 am

did anyone get contacted by a judge post-grades update?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:00 am

I was told that the interviews would be in the next week or so, but that the selections have not been made yet for who will be interviewed (or, if they have been made, they have not told anyone or started the interviews). Not sure if this is specific for my region (PNW).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:41 pm

thanks for that information!

Did you email the coordinators about it or were you sent an email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Apped December 1st. Screening late Jan. Judge interview this Friday. It's for a CA trial court so I'm disappointed. I'd like some advice as a 1L: do I do this even though it is trial court and I want to become a patent attorney? I was hoping for CA Supreme or Fed, as my screener had. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Apped December 1st. Screening late Jan. Judge interview this Friday. It's for a CA trial court so I'm disappointed. I'd like some advice as a 1L: do I do this even though it is trial court and I want to become a patent attorney? I was hoping for CA Supreme or Fed, as my screener had. :(

Have you applied to other jobs? Take the interview and see how it goes—you might not get it. However, if you are sure you don't want trial court, I would cancel the interview. Not sure how your school does it, but mine does not allow students to turn down judges if they offer.

Honestly though, I think you would learn a ton in a trial court, and it would be really interesting. I was actually hoping for state trial court because the cases were all over the place, and typically trial judges have the interns do way more work that fed judges. For example, I interviewed with a state trial judge who doesnt have a clerk (can't have one) and his interns write all his opinions and do all the work a clerk would do. I now am doing a fed district court externship, and that judge has 4 clerks so the work left to the interns is much more sparse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:thanks for that information!

Did you email the coordinators about it or were you sent an email?

I was sent an email from career services asking me if I was still interested because the JIOP would be sending a list to her this week saying who got an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apped December 1st. Screening late Jan. Judge interview this Friday. It's for a CA trial court so I'm disappointed. I'd like some advice as a 1L: do I do this even though it is trial court and I want to become a patent attorney? I was hoping for CA Supreme or Fed, as my screener had. :(

Have you applied to other jobs? Take the interview and see how it goes—you might not get it. However, if you are sure you don't want trial court, I would cancel the interview. Not sure how your school does it, but mine does not allow students to turn down judges if they offer.

Honestly though, I think you would learn a ton in a trial court, and it would be really interesting. I was actually hoping for state trial court because the cases were all over the place, and typically trial judges have the interns do way more work that fed judges. For example, I interviewed with a state trial judge who doesnt have a clerk (can't have one) and his interns write all his opinions and do all the work a clerk would do. I now am doing a fed district court externship, and that judge has 4 clerks so the work left to the interns is much more sparse.

Thanks for this reply. I do want to learn. As a 1L with no legal connections or legal work experience, I think I will take the interview and the position if I am given one (now I am freaking out that I may not even get one). I guess I was disappointed because the attorney that screened me said that her federal judge was the Chief Judge of Southern California, and that using her name on resumes opened a lot of doors with her. I called the JIOP director and she said that SoCal is very competitive and I should just take what I get. :[ Bah humbug.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for this reply. I do want to learn. As a 1L with no legal connections or legal work experience, I think I will take the interview and the position if I am given one (now I am freaking out that I may not even get one). I guess I was disappointed because the attorney that screened me said that her federal judge was the Chief Judge of Southern California, and that using her name on resumes opened a lot of doors with her. I called the JIOP director and she said that SoCal is very competitive and I should just take what I get. :[ Bah humbug.

Well, I had the interview with the judge yesterday. I didn't get the offer on the spot. I have to wait a week. I don't think she liked me very much so I feel silly about being nitpicky now. Anyone else have any progress?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 pm

24 out of 200 positions filled. Anyone have some experiences or progress to share?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 am

Been in judicial review since Feb. 4...Have not been contacted by a judge yet...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Been in judicial review since Feb. 4...Have not been contacted by a judge yet...

how do you know you're under judicial review? Did you receive an email? If I didn't get one, think it's safe to presume I didn't move onto the next round?

also, do you mind sharing the general region?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Been in judicial review since Feb. 4...Have not been contacted by a judge yet...

how do you know you're under judicial review? Did you receive an email? If I didn't get one, think it's safe to presume I didn't move onto the next round?

Received an e-mail saying that I had made in onto the judicial review round..and my region is California..
Also spoke w/ gail howard, the director, and she said there are roughly 700 applicants, 300 make it to judicial review for the 200 spots

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Received an e-mail saying that I had made in onto the judicial review round..and my region is California..
Also spoke w/ gail howard, the director, and she said there are roughly 700 applicants, 300 make it to judicial review for the 200 spots

Thanks for the information. I'm in the Southern California region. Been in judicial review since 2/1, which is when I got the e-mail from Gail Howard. I have heard from 1 judge. This is nerve-wracking. Let's keep this thread updated with any applicant progress! It'd be nice to hear that people are getting interviews and/or positions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I applied January 3rd and have not heard anything about a Screening Interview even. (Applied to Southern CA).

Anyone else in this same position?

Also, did anyone on here apply for the MABA Judicial Extern Program? Haven't heard anything from then either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:23 pm

bump

tsk123

Postby tsk123 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Spoke to Gail. 1/3 positions filled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 pm

tsk123 wrote:Spoke to Gail. 1/3 positions filled.

oh dang

when do we hold onto hope until?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

oh dang

I don't know. I'm still hanging on...

I was wondering, if anyone has already been interviewed my a judge, did you get an e-mail from the judge saying you didn't get the position if you did not get the position? My judge said she would let me know what her decision was last Friday but I haven't gotten such an e-mail yet? I know it's not uncommon for an employer to not bother responding if you didn't get one, would a judge in the legal profession do the same?

Edit: Kind of want to e-mail asking JIOP what the deal is but idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

oh dang

I was wondering, if anyone has already been interviewed my a judge, did you get an e-mail from the judge saying you didn't get the position if you did not get the position? My judge said she would let me know what her decision was last Friday but I haven't gotten such an e-mail yet? I know it's not uncommon for an employer to not bother responding if you didn't get one, would a judge in the legal profession do the same?

I've always received some kind of an answer from a judge ... though the rejections usually came awhile after the date they said they'd notify me by

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

oh dang

I've always received some kind of an answer from a judge ... though the rejections usually came awhile after the date they said they'd notify me by

Sigh. Yeah, I didn't get good vibes after the interview so I knew I wouldn't get it but I just wanted the confirmation so my sad soul can rest in peace. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sigh. Yeah, I didn't get good vibes after the interview so I knew I wouldn't get it but I just wanted the confirmation so my sad soul can rest in peace. :(

Sorry, buddy. There are lots of other internships out there so dont get too disappointed. At least it was good interview practice

If you really want experience working for a judge, consider a fall/spring externship

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Confirming that Ms. Howard said 1/3 positions filled out of the 200.

Is 200 for the whole nation? I'm apping for the CA region.

Someone on TLS said that 300 go into judicial review. So, I was hoping my odds were okay if it truly is 200/300... but nothing yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm

it seems like most people here (including me) applied for CA externships, which are prob very limited in number ... Does not bode well for me!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 am

anyone heard from any bay area judges? gail said there are around 15-20 spots for this region

Return to “Legal Employment”