What is the difference between private sector vs corporate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is the difference between private sector vs corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 am

I am being placed by my law school career center for my 1L summer job. I am top 7-8% of my class and best jobs go to top students. I would have really hoped to be top 3-5% to feel good about my potential placement since it is a T3 school in baltimore (guess which one that is).

The form asks for a preference between corporate vs private sector in the civil practice and I really have no idea which is which. There are a few biglaw firms in the area and I know at least a couple of them are participating in this placement program. So If I want to place in them, I really don't know which one to pick as my preference.

Also, I may have an outside chance at interning for a federal judge, If I were able to get it, does interning for a federal judge look way better than the possible connections I hope to make at the big firm?

Kronk

Re: What is the difference between private sector vs corporate

Postby Kronk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 am

BigLaw would be corporate.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:The form asks for a preference between corporate vs private sector in the civil practice and I really have no idea which is which.

That sentence makes like, no sense.

What you do 1L summer doesn't matter. The two major exceptions are (1) if it's a firm job that could lead to fulltime employment, that's clutch and (2) getting paid is nice. As a caveat to "doesn't matter" it really does have to be legal, and of course you should use the time to do something that is interesting and/or informative for your career development.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 am

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The form asks for a preference between corporate vs private sector in the civil practice and I really have no idea which is which.

What you do 1L summer doesn't matter. The two major exceptions are (1) if it's a firm job that could lead to fulltime employment, that's clutch and (2) getting paid is nice. As a caveat to "doesn't matter" it really does have to be legal, and of course you should use the time to do something that is interesting and/or informative for your career development.

lol @ not responding to bro's question at all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:27 am

Kronk wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

lol @ not responding to bro's question at all

Got the answer I needed from your post. Thanks!

thesealocust answered my question in which im fishing for some advice as to which path to choose. Firm vs. Federal Judge (If i were so lucky to get both of them).

Return to “Legal Employment”