Mock interview question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mock interview question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 pm

My school has mandatory mock interviews that we have to complete. I signed up to interview with a partner at a big law firm that I also applied for their diveristy position for 1l sa. Should I bring up the fact that I applied to it in hopes of turning this mock interview for school into perhaps a real interview somehow or just don't even mention it?

MinEMorris

Re: Mock interview question

Postby MinEMorris » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 am

I would bring it up if (1) it seems like something natural to mention in response to one of his or her questions/during the course of the interview, or (2) at the end of the interview if you feel it went well (if you said something really offensive or something, obviously probably not in your interest to bring it up).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

Okay that sounds reasonable

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school has mandatory mock interviews that we have to complete. I signed up to interview with a partner at a big law firm that I also applied for their diveristy position for 1l sa. Should I bring up the fact that I applied to it in hopes of turning this mock interview for school into perhaps a real interview somehow or just don't even mention it?

I'd mention it, and I did the same (except was partnered with an associate, not partner). Didn't seem awkward when I did it. Haven't heard from the firm though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My school has mandatory mock interviews that we have to complete. I signed up to interview with a partner at a big law firm that I also applied for their diveristy position for 1l sa. Should I bring up the fact that I applied to it in hopes of turning this mock interview for school into perhaps a real interview somehow or just don't even mention it?

I'd mention it, and I did the same (except was partnered with an associate, not partner). Didn't seem awkward when I did it. Haven't heard from the firm though.

At what point in the interview did you bring it up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At what point in the interview did you bring it up?

Sorry for the late response.

I brought it up after the mock interview, when the associate was critiquing me and telling me how to improve. I asked her if there were ways I could tailor my answers better to the firm, bc I'm really interested in X specifically and I actually applied for the 1L position they had in case I get an interview. She was really excited I applied, and brought new energy to our meeting which was great. Best of luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”