1L Writing Sample

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Writing Sample

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey All,

What size font should be used for the writing sample? I have reworked mine quite a bit and am unable to get it below 10 pages using 12 point TNR. Thus, I currently have it set at 11.5 TNR. Would any employer or judge look down upon 11.5 sized font?

What if the employer doesnt specifically request that it should be under 10 pages? Should I then change it back to 12 point TNR where it ends up being 11 pages?

Any and all insight is appreciated.

ph14

Re: 1L Writing Sample

Postby ph14 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey All,

What size font should be used for the writing sample? I have reworked mine quite a bit and am unable to get it below 10 pages using 12 point TNR. Thus, I currently have it set at 11.5 TNR. Would any employer or judge look down upon 11.5 sized font?

What if the employer doesnt specifically request that it should be under 10 pages? Should I then change it back to 12 point TNR where it ends up being 11 pages?

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Use 12 point, Times New Roman, and cut it down to 10 pages or below. If necessary, just omit a conclusion if you have one. If not, i'm sure you can edit it to be under 10 pages.

zozin

Re: 1L Writing Sample

Postby zozin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

A 2L recommended I do this, and I think it's a good idea. If the writing sample deals with multiple issues, only submit one of the issues (4-6 pages) and have some sort of introductory section which explains what the sample deals with.

Return to “Legal Employment”