Slightly Below Median, What Now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cashman17

Slightly Below Median, What Now?

Postby cashman17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm

So I just got back my 1st semester grades falling slightly below median (and by slightly I mean like .03 gpa points). Mostly this is due to a C+ in LRW that really dragged me down. I have a full scholarship that only requires staying above median. Obviously for second semester I know I need to step up the grades, and I don't think I should have a problem keeping my scholarship. However, I now think its unrealistic that I'm going to end up in the top 30% or so after my 1st year (unless I nail straight As or something).

So clearly if my grades don't improve this semester I'm dropping out. My question is, what level do I need to improve to to make staying in law school worth it from a 'being employed' standpoint. Like I said, I have a full scholarship so I'm not taking on a huge financial burden by sticking it out. Furthermore, my undergrad was a bullshit liberal arts major from a state school, so I don't exactly have anything to fall back on. Basically, my question is, do I have a shot at gainful legal employment not being in the top 30% (TT school, major city)

stillwater

Re: Slightly Below Median, What Now?

Postby stillwater » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cashman17

Postby cashman17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Well, I definitely wasn't aiming for "Big Law" coming into law school. I didn't attend planning on banking 100k+ out of school, nor did I want to work the kind of hours/life-style Big Law firms required. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "shitlaw". I attended the TT because of the scholarship, I didn't want to take on the debt that higher-rated schools I got accepted to would saddle me with, especially because a spot at a big firm was not my goal. I would be fine making only 50-60k after I graduated, provided I could move up in time. Basically I'm weighing my minimal debt (plus about 20k from UG), against huge initial paychecks. But I also think coming out with 30k or so job would be pointless, because I could probably find some random job that pays the same and not waste 2 years of my life and missed salary. What is the upward movement of "shit-law"? Is it merely starting salary or are we talking a job that will never see a great increase in pay?

lawhaus

Postby lawhaus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm

where does wanting to be a lawyer come into this discussion? Do you want to practice law?

had similar questions as you, and did my own research on it. decided it was worth it to continue. (employment numbers, speaking with practicing attorneys/3L/2L/Career office)

disclosure; 1L here, and that was what I did, take it at face value.

cashman17

Postby cashman17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I want to be a lawyer but it isn't like a life-long dream of mine. My world would not be shattered if I didn't end up practicing law. However, I did choose to go to law school because its a field I enjoyed and a job I thought would be interesting (as well as something I'd be good at). Also, like I said, my undergrad major isn't likely to get me any kind of decent job, I sort of went into it banking on getting into law school (disclosure; Philosophy). Basically, I guess I would say I have the goal of being a lawyer, and generally do like 'the law', but I'm not one of those people who is obsessed with being a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:03 pm

I am going to end up below median by at least 0.1 and I ended up landing my post-grad dream job (albeit a "prestigious" big city ADA position). Grades aren't everything. Make sure get as much experience as you can under your belt including summer jobs, externships during school, etc.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to end up below median by at least 0.1 and I ended up landing my post-grad dream job (albeit a "prestigious" big city ADA position). Grades aren't everything. Make sure get as much experience as you can under your belt including summer jobs, externships during school, etc.

But grades are everything - this guy/girl needs to stay above median to keep the scholly.

cashman17

Postby cashman17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Yeah I know the scholly is what matters immediately, but like I said I only to need to bump my gpa .03 to keep it. If I fail to do this I know I'm dropping out. This thread was assuming I do keep the scholly, but don't vastly improve my overall GPA

Return to “Legal Employment”