SA with Small/Medium Law Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cmartin5970

SA with Small/Medium Law Firm

Postby cmartin5970 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 pm

For medium sized firms and smaller that do not mention a career page on their website with a summer associate program, what is the best way to go about applying for them? Should I just mass mail out my resume/cover letter to their address, or should I call each firm individually? I go to a TTT and looking at medium/small firms within the area that does criminal defense. I don't want to do a big law firm, and I understand I don't have much of a chance anways because of my school. Any help you all could give would be great, career services hasn't been too helpful and has been recommending I apply for internships and firms that I know I have a very slim chance of getting because of the school I go to, regardless of my grades. So how should I go about applying for possible internships, and if I do mass mail out, should I label the envelope Summer Associate or anything along those lines?

kalvano

Re: SA with Small/Medium Law Firm

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Email a named partner at the firm and just ask if they hire law students for the summer.

cmartin5970

Postby cmartin5970 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm

and if no email address is listed just call? I've been calling law firms and haven't had much luck getting people to return my calls and messages. Most law firms which practice criminal defense are just a few lawyers and don't have the best websites so its making it that much harder.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm

cmartin5970 wrote:and if no email address is listed just call? I've been calling law firms and haven't had much luck getting people to return my calls and messages. Most law firms which practice criminal defense are just a few lawyers and don't have the best websites so its making it that much harder.

More people are going to ignore you than are going to respond. That's why I always say that it's a volume game.

cmartin5970

Postby cmartin5970 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm learning that now, had good luck getting in applications to all the non-profits and larger law firms. smaller firms are the most frustrating, but it has been fun reading all the corny quotes and slogans for these smaller firms

Return to “Legal Employment”