McKinsey

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

McKinsey

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 am

1L here,

At a tier 1 schools not in the t14 and after the first semester I am right around the median. I have already locked up a firm SA for this upcoming summer in a secondary market but in looking forward I really would like to try and make a run at McKinsey. I recognize that my credentials clearly are lacking compared to other applicants but I also feel that I could do really well in consulting both during the interview process and (hopefully) in my career. I was wondering for anyone who made it far in the process or secured an offer how they would go about approaching the company given my "average" credentials. Is there a shot at still getting in a room with someone to try and sell myself or will my grades be prohibitive? Obviously with my SA job I'm not free this summer but I'm looking towards 2L summer and hopefully after graduation. Thanks for the help!

spyke123

Re: McKinsey

Postby spyke123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:09 am

Since Mckinsey most likely won't be interviewing on your campus, you need to hustle/network (you might want to start now, earlier the better) to get your resume looked at. They certainly will not interview you if you just apply online. Once you are in the interview room though, they really don't care about your credentials and it is really about your ability to kill the case and impress your interviewer.

HTH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 am

OP here,

That makes a lot of sense as far as once being in the room it's all about performance and aptitude. Just curious if you have any specific ideas for networking or other strategies for getting in the room with them?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am

3L here, also was interested in the consulting route. As a JD, BCG really has the best program. They make an effort with their ADC program to reach out and bring in JDs. Bain and Mk were much less interested in law school students from my experience unless you had previous BBM experience

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here, also was interested in the consulting route. As a JD, BCG really has the best program. They make an effort with their ADC program to reach out and bring in JDs. Bain and Mk were much less interested in law school students from my experience unless you had previous BBM experience

Interesting. MK has an office in my home city so it was more of a 'fit' but I would likely be willing to relocate for a shot at BCG. Did you end up going with them for after graduation or still deciding? Any advice on contacting them as a 1L?

Mavraides87

Postby Mavraides87 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 am

Impressed you were able to get an SA as a 1l at median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 am

Mavraides87 wrote:Impressed you were able to get an SA as a 1l at median.

Good networking, great interview. Managing partner is an alum and my school's name carries more weight than it's ranking, especially in the area.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Good networking, great interview. Managing partner is an alum and my school's name carries more weight than it's ranking, especially in the area.

Great, looks like you already know the drill. Contact alums at MBB and network aggressively to land that interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:29 am

spyke123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Great, looks like you already know the drill. Contact alums at MBB and network aggressively to land that interview.

Great, thanks! Only problem is with law firms you can do the classic "keyword search" and find an alum to either reach out blindly or find some type of connection. With MBB I don't seem to be able to find as much information on leadership/employees so I don't know how to find those connections. I guess that's really the root of the question for me

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spyke123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Great, thanks! Only problem is with law firms you can do the classic "keyword search" and find an alum to either reach out blindly or find some type of connection. With MBB I don't seem to be able to find as much information on leadership/employees so I don't know how to find those connections. I guess that's really the root of the question for me

Don't your law school have a list with alumni contact info? You can start there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am

Don't your law school have a list with alumni contact info? You can start there.[/quote]

Didn't think of that. Great idea. Thanks again for all the help, TLS is great when used for this kind of spit-balling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't your law school have a list with alumni contact info? You can start there.

Didn't think of that. Great idea. Thanks again for all the help, TLS is great when used for this kind of spit-balling.[/quote]

My friend and I both got McK offers last year. They don't care at all about your grades but not being at a target school makes it harder. http://www.caseinterview.com has some articles about approaching MBB from non target schools, which boils down to networking as others said.

re BCG: they seem to be much eager approaching JDs but from what I've heard McKinsey hires more JDs out of YSH (esp H) than BCG, even given the size difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't your law school have a list with alumni contact info? You can start there.

Didn't think of that. Great idea. Thanks again for all the help, TLS is great when used for this kind of spit-balling.

My friend and I both got McK offers last year. They don't care at all about your grades but not being at a target school makes it harder. http://www.caseinterview.com has some articles about approaching MBB from non target schools, which boils down to networking as others said.

re BCG: they seem to be much eager approaching JDs but from what I've heard McKinsey hires more JDs out of YSH (esp H) than BCG, even given the size difference.[/quote]

Got it, so networking seems to be my only way in and then once in kill the interview. Any ideas on when to make contact? With a job this summer obviously there's not much of a time crunch on my end however I want them to know that I am very interested in them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

re BCG: they seem to be much eager approaching JDs but from what I've heard McKinsey hires more JDs out of YSH (esp H) than BCG, even given the size difference.

Got it, so networking seems to be my only way in and then once in kill the interview. Any ideas on when to make contact? With a job this summer obviously there's not much of a time crunch on my end however I want them to know that I am very interested in them[/quote]

JD recruiting happens at and around the same time of firm interviews but other professional schools and alternative degree candidates interview as late as December. If your school has a good business school or other graduate program, there should be a consulting club that you can join. Once you join you will get updates on networking events and interview dates. If you don't have access to that try to find out about general info sessions and receptions in your city and other nearby cities and start from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any advice to someone who has an upcoming 1st round with them?

As to OP, if you have really high SAT/LSAT or GRE numbers, they will call you even if you are not at a top school. I go to a t-14, but McKinsey does not really come and interview here, yet they responded to my online application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 pm

[/quote]

As to OP, if you have really high SAT/LSAT or GRE numbers, they will call you even if you are not at a top school. I go to a t-14, but McKinsey does not really come and interview here, yet they responded to my online application.[/quote]

LSAT is above the 90% -tile = really high numbers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice to someone who has an upcoming 1st round with them?

As to OP, if you have really high SAT/LSAT or GRE numbers, they will call you even if you are not at a top school. I go to a t-14, but McKinsey does not really come and interview here, yet they responded to my online application.

Which first round is it? Screener?
For us it went like this: screener > written test > group interview > 1st round (2 cases) > 2nd round (3 cases).
If you're at the case level just practice as many cases as you can and get tips from your assigned "buddy". Get Case in Point and other casebooks and practice your math skills on caseinterview.com

High standardized test scores are in fact much more relevant than law school grades but I'm not sure where they draw the line. Those I know who got it were 95th %ile and above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any advice to someone who has an upcoming 1st round with them?

Which first round is it? Screener?
For us it went like this: screener > written test > group interview > 1st round (2 cases) > 2nd round (3 cases).
If you're at the case level just practice as many cases as you can and get tips from your assigned "buddy". Get Case in Point and other casebooks and practice your math skills on caseinterview.com

High standardized test scores are in fact much more relevant than law school grades but I'm not sure where they draw the line. Those I know who got it were 95th %ile and above.

No screener. Straight to written test and group interview. Do you at least think I need to prepare for the group interview, or is it casual. On their e-mail, they told the group interview will not matter, only the test result.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

As to OP, if you have really high SAT/LSAT or GRE numbers, they will call you even if you are not at a top school. I go to a t-14, but McKinsey does not really come and interview here, yet they responded to my online application.[/quote]

LSAT is above the 90% -tile = really high numbers?[/quote]

They will probably care more about your SAT math, or GRE math/GMAT if you have taken them. For what is worth, I was above 98% on math sections of those exams and on LSAT. I have a liberal arts background and relatively shitty work experience, so I cannot imagine anything but my test scores getting their attention. I thought (and still think) it was such a long shot that I did not even write a cover letter to my application. However, if you can network or have relevant work experience, I imagine they can look at 90%.

Edit: apologies for quotes coming up like this. Not sure what is up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

OP here, figured I'd start fresh since the quotes is messing up.

Yeah I mean I only took the ACT and don't recall my math section however my logic games section was perfect on the LSAT (not sure if this is relevant) and I'm hoping my work experience (interned with 2 NLJ 250 firms in undergrad and as previously said I'll be an SA this summer will help). Do you think these qualifications will have a shot at getting me just in a room with someone based off a default application or do you think networking is really my only shot? I know this is speculation but I appreciate it nonentheless

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, figured I'd start fresh since the quotes is messing up.

Yeah I mean I only took the ACT and don't recall my math section however my logic games section was perfect on the LSAT (not sure if this is relevant) and I'm hoping my work experience (interned with 2 NLJ 250 firms in undergrad and as previously said I'll be an SA this summer will help). Do you think these qualifications will have a shot at getting me just in a room with someone based off a default application or do you think networking is really my only shot? I know this is speculation but I appreciate it nonentheless

Same anon that has been responding to a lot of your questions. My gut instinct is that unless your ACT math was good, above 90%, you will not draw their attention only by applying online. You will need to network in order to get the opportunity to take their test. Even when you make it to first round, from what I have read, only 1 in 50 gets an offer (those numbers tend to be slightly higher for lawyers). Overall, you have a better chance at a career at biglaw than at mckinsey. I also do not think they will care much about your NLJ internships; consulting firms, imho, seem to want people with math skills and NLJ firm does not translate to that.

In relation to logic games, I imagine it is good that you did well, and they look for that sort of thinking, but there is no way to tell them that since LSAT scores are not separated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote: No screener. Straight to written test and group interview. Do you at least think I need to prepare for the group interview, or is it casual. On their e-mail, they told the group interview will not matter, only the test result.

The group interview is casual and volunteer answers. Definitely make yourself familiar with case frameworks, etc. especially since you should start case prep anyway, but don't sweat it. It's not a big deal.

The test is more imp as you've been told. Freshen up your math skills and if you haven't already, brush up your basic econ knowledge.

To the OP: when I was applying I asked them about the value of SA and they said it doesn't matter unless it's V5 or V10, and then only because of the prestige. You will definitely need to network and network hard. Offer rate in general is around 1% of total applicants but for law students it's higher (5% or so) as the other Anon mentioned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

OP here- thanks everyone. The wisdom was really insightful and helpful. Seems like network or bust. Tough long road ahead but for MBB I already knew that going in. Thanks again for all contributions and obviously feel free to use this thread as a sounding board for other consulting of McK questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm

I interviewed with and got offers from both McK and BCG (and I will be working at the latter starting this fall). As others have said, having the firms interview on campus is a big step up - at Columbia (where I am) McKinsey will interview pretty much anyone who wants to. Elsewhere, as others have mentioned, networking is key. Look at your law school's alumni database, scan your linkedin contacts, etc. It's not like you need someone pulling hard for you, you just need someone to slip your resume to the recruiters so it doesn't get lost in the online app pile.

As far as getting picked for an interview, the big thing you will have to demonstrate as a law student is quant aptitude, or at least indications that you would be good at quant. They will ask for SAT / ACT scores - if your math component is high, that's a big plus. Same if you had a quantitative major or a previous job involving lots of numbers. Any previous experience that is not quantitative or not business-related is largely irrelevant. The other typical weakness law students have is they are awkward / not personable, but this is assessed through the interview.

As others have said, once you have an interview (a real interview, not the screener, if any), it's all about performance on cases and the fit (which are really "structured stories" about past experience).

Also, I am clearly biased, but you should apply to all three firms (Bain, BCG, and McKinsey), and probably even some "secondary" firms like Booz, Deloitte, Oliver Wyman, LEK, etc. There's no need to limit yourself to only one or two firms.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with and got offers from both McK and BCG (and I will be working at the latter starting this fall). As others have said, having the firms interview on campus is a big step up - at Columbia (where I am) McKinsey will interview pretty much anyone who wants to. Elsewhere, as others have mentioned, networking is key. Look at your law school's alumni database, scan your linkedin contacts, etc. It's not like you need someone pulling hard for you, you just need someone to slip your resume to the recruiters so it doesn't get lost in the online app pile.

As far as getting picked for an interview, the big thing you will have to demonstrate as a law student is quant aptitude, or at least indications that you would be good at quant. They will ask for SAT / ACT scores - if your math component is high, that's a big plus. Same if you had a quantitative major or a previous job involving lots of numbers. Any previous experience that is not quantitative or not business-related is largely irrelevant. The other typical weakness law students have is they are awkward / not personable, but this is assessed through the interview.

As others have said, once you have an interview (a real interview, not the screener, if any), it's all about performance on cases and the fit (which are really "structured stories" about past experience).

Also, I am clearly biased, but you should apply to all three firms (Bain, BCG, and McKinsey), and probably even some "secondary" firms like Booz, Deloitte, Oliver Wyman, LEK, etc. There's no need to limit yourself to only one or two firms.

Do you mind sharing the offer rate for MBB at Columbia? I know there are some numbers floating around for HLS but I don't think I have come across Columbia numbers yet.

Return to “Legal Employment”