Bored.....well, not really I guess, but want to write

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Bored.....well, not really I guess, but want to write

Postby A'nold » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:55 am

Hey guys, it's been awhile.

I have a great job making pretty dang good money at a smaller firm doing what I wanted to do if I was going to work in the private sector (tort law). I am pretty busy most of the time and am getting tons of on the job experience. Other lawyers in the area are starting to notice me and have been very complimentary of my work, singing my praises to my firm's founder and my direct boss.

Anyway, I've been blogging for the firm on my own initiative to help drum up some business and also to help get my name out there. Still, I am really getting the "academic writing" itch and want to expand on so many areas of the law that I've researched and written about so far, particularly insurance law topics.

That being said, what would be the point of that? I guess my REALLY long term goal is to become a judge in a prestigious court, at least at the state court of appeals level but preferably State Supreme Court or Federal District Court or above. Other than that, I really have no long term goals to get into low level academia or anything like that, although I love to keep my options open.

Does anyone really work on law review type articles and publications just for the "fun" of it? I would love to be known as an expert in the field of tort law if that matters. Mostly, I like analyzing things and coming up with new-fangled theories or solutions to problems that truly affect our justice system.

And if I did get published multiple times in, say, the next 5 years, what kinds of doors would be open to me compared to just getting better at my current job? Should I just put more effort into getting better in the mundane yet more practical side of the practice of law? What do you guys think?

Mick Haller

Re: Bored.....well, not really I guess, but want to write

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 am

No advice on how to become a judge, just wanted to say congrats! And glad you are doing well.

A'nold

Re: Bored.....well, not really I guess, but want to write

Postby A'nold » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 am

Mick Haller wrote:No advice on how to become a judge, just wanted to say congrats! And glad you are doing well.

Thanks Mick. :) What's up with the site? Good still or getting worse? I remember it wasn't as good as it used to be when I stopped coming on b/c of a few of the mods and their encouragement of put downs for anyone that didn't agree with their viewpoints. It got pretty hostile and cynical around here.

Return to “Legal Employment”