Should I include my GPA on my 1L resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
notcool

Should I include my GPA on my 1L resume?

Postby notcool » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 pm

I talked to Career Services and they recommended I include my law school GPA, because apparently if you don't include it employers will automatically assume it's under a 3.0, which is bad.

My first semester GPA isn't under 3.0, but it's by no means great (around median). I didn't really want to include it because it's not all that respectable, and employers will be able to get my transcripts anyway, and also I really don't have room to include anything else on my resume before it goes over a page.

Plus I looked at Harvard's sample 1L resumes online, and none of them include GPAs (though I know Harvard has a weird grading system).

So I thought I'd ask TLS about this.

deliriousxix

Re: Should I include my GPA on my 1L resume?

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 am

Yes. If you don't include your GPA they will likely assume you are below median or ashamed of your grades. Go ahead and include your GPA and just work hard this semester to do better.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 am

Yes. The reason that Harvard resumes don't have it is because they go to Harvard.

harbin

Postby harbin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 am

deliriousxix wrote:Yes. If you don't include your GPA they will likely assume you are below median or ashamed of your grades. Go ahead and include your GPA and just work hard this semester to do better.

+1. Most places are going to ask for your grades/transcript anyways, if they aren't on your resume you're more likely to be automatically thrown out.

Return to “Legal Employment”