Is IP Docket Clerk the kiss of death to your career?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
exit161

Is IP Docket Clerk the kiss of death to your career?

Postby exit161 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:07 am

I am being offered an IP docket position at a good regional IP firm. I recently graduated from college, and I will be taking the patent bar at the end of February. An IP paralegal at a BigLaw Vault 100 law firm told me off the record that when they’re looking for candidates docket can be a bad thing. Would docket be a black mark on my resume? Would I have a chance of getting an IP paralegal, agent or other such position with no experience? I am geographically limited to the Cleveland Ohio region.

truevines

Re: Is IP Docket Clerk the kiss of death to your career?

Postby truevines » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 am

exit161 wrote:I am being offered an IP docket position at a good regional IP firm. I recently graduated from college, and I will be taking the patent bar at the end of February. An IP paralegal at a BigLaw Vault 100 law firm told me off the record that when they’re looking for candidates docket can be a bad thing. Would docket be a black mark on my resume? Would I have a chance of getting an IP paralegal, agent or other such position with no experience? I am geographically limited to the Cleveland Ohio region.

Passing the patent bar makes you a patent agent. Why on earth would you take the docket position or trying to be an IP paralegal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:02 pm

I worked as an IP paralegal after college at a V25. I got the job with no work experience, nor any science/technology background. Perhaps this is not true of smaller firms, but generally the type of law you work as a paralegal in makes little substantive difference in the type of work you'll be doing, since paralegal work is administrative. I also doubt it makes a difference to law schools and hiring attorneys whether you worked as a docket clerk or a paralegal between college and law school. If I were you, I'd either take the docket job or hold out for agent jobs after passing the patent bar. Definitely no reason to hold out for entry-level IP paralegal work though.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Once you go to law school or become a patent agent, it doesn't matter.

If you're just interested in IP paralegal jobs, maybe if you're settled too long as a docketing clerk, you'd be stuck there. But you can always switch firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”