Do all lawyers at large law firms hate their jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do all lawyers at large law firms hate their jobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:14 am

I have an adjunct professor for my legal writing class who works at a huge law firm in a major city. He doesn't exactly say he "hates" his job but he'll often be so tired and will tell us about how he's only gotten one or two hours of sleep or that he spent the night at the office. This happens on a consistent basis. I know he's making big money and whatnot but you can't help but feel bad for the guy sometimes, it seems like complete hell, not having any life - he's always SO tired. Is work at a firm, no matter where, really like this? Is it worth the money? Totally serious question because I have a good shot at working at a big one my 2L year through a solid connection but I don't want to lay down a pathway towards a miserable life - and yes I actually do enjoy law school. (most of the time).

Broseidon

Re: Do all lawyers at large law firms hate their jobs?

Postby Broseidon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 am

It's got busy periods but it's not like what he describes all the time.

metblvette

Postby metblvette » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:34 am

It's not nearly as bad as some make it seem. Sure there are the occasional 70-80 hr weeks, but it definitely is not like that all the time. The work can occasionally be dry, but it's like that at every job at some point. Most of the time you're working on interesting matters.

izha

Postby izha » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an adjunct professor for my legal writing class who works at a huge law firm in a major city. He doesn't exactly say he "hates" his job but he'll often be so tired and will tell us about how he's only gotten one or two hours of sleep or that he spent the night at the office. This happens on a consistent basis. I know he's making big money and whatnot but you can't help but feel bad for the guy sometimes, it seems like complete hell, not having any life - he's always SO tired. Is work at a firm, no matter where, really like this? Is it worth the money? Totally serious question because I have a good shot at working at a big one my 2L year through a solid connection but I don't want to lay down a pathway towards a miserable life - and yes I actually do enjoy law school. (most of the time).

If he is that tired why the hell he is teaching? Not enough money at his principal job?

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:50 am

My guess is he works at a mill. Probably a large firm that is top heavy in terms of revenue distribution, and quite a few staff/associates that work for peanuts. We had a similar adjunct at our school. Feelsbadman, gotta have some pity as he was prob in your shoes not too long ago.

lawschoolfiasco

Postby lawschoolfiasco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 am

Simple answer: no, all lawyers at large law firms do not hate their jobs. Biglaw firms vary greatly from one firm to the next. Some have a relatively good work/life balance.

anattorney

Postby anattorney » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:23 pm

I would estimate that about 5% of the people who enter biglaw like it and thrive in it.

Probably another 20% don't like it but can at least tolerate it long term.

Everyone else hates it. If you suspect that you will hate biglaw, chances are 100% you will hate biglaw.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 pm

http://thepeoplestherapist.com/
It has so many stories similar to the one you described.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 pm

izha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an adjunct professor for my legal writing class who works at a huge law firm in a major city. He doesn't exactly say he "hates" his job but he'll often be so tired and will tell us about how he's only gotten one or two hours of sleep or that he spent the night at the office. This happens on a consistent basis. I know he's making big money and whatnot but you can't help but feel bad for the guy sometimes, it seems like complete hell, not having any life - he's always SO tired. Is work at a firm, no matter where, really like this? Is it worth the money? Totally serious question because I have a good shot at working at a big one my 2L year through a solid connection but I don't want to lay down a pathway towards a miserable life - and yes I actually do enjoy law school. (most of the time).

If he is that tired why the hell he is teaching? Not enough money at his principal job?

Maybe he hates his biglaw job, and wants to go to academia. This way he is slowly making the switch?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 pm

No. What a foolish question.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Poll: Most in US don't like their jobs

It's not law that sucks, it's work that sucks.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm

IAFG wrote:Poll: Most in US don't like their jobs

It's not law that sucks, it's work that sucks.

Insert played out "there's a support group for people who hate their jobs; it's called the bar and it meets after work" joke.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 am

I actually really enjoyed my time in biglaw. But then I really enjoy being a lawyer.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 am

anon168 wrote:I actually really enjoyed my time in biglaw. But then I really enjoy being a lawyer.

(SCOTUS clerk)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 am

I like my job.

It pays well. People respect me professionally, and the matters I work on are big and interesting (even if sometimes the tasks I do on those matters aren't). I have a nice office, and all the amenities a person could hope for in the workplace. Plus, I like enough of my coworkers to make the work day not awful.

There are long hours and difficult personalities. But I had to deal with that when I made less than 1/3 of what I make now, and I had to take out my own garbage at the end of the day.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 am

Renzo wrote:I like my job.

It pays well. People respect me professionally, and the matters I work on are big and interesting (even if sometimes the tasks I do on those matters aren't). I have a nice office, and all the amenities a person could hope for in the workplace. Plus, I like enough of my coworkers to make the work day not awful.

There are long hours and difficult personalities. But I had to deal with that when I made less than 1/3 of what I make now, and I had to take out my own garbage at the end of the day.

This comes very close to my attitude.

I know people who work two jobs just to get by, there are people working stupid hours (though maybe less unpredictable hours) for a fraction of the pay even in the same firm, etc.

There's also always some amount of stress / hazing that comes from being the new guy, whether it's new-guy litigator or new-guy barista. I think the long schooling / debt / stupid licensing exam makes it feel much worse to lots of newfish lawyers though.

Return to “Legal Employment”