Reapply to SA firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reapply to SA firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 pm

I came really close during OCIs - 5 firms cut me during the last round because my grades didn't quite meet their cutoff. However, I was held to the final rounds because of my work experience. Well, after a great semester, I've increased my GPA by 0.12 to 3.6, which will probably put me around 15-18%. Worth sending an email to contacts there asking if anyone dropped out? Offering to intern for free within my desired practice group (very niche-y)?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Bronze

Re: Reapply to SA firms?

Post by Agent » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:12 am

+1
ajax adonis wrote:Let them know about your new GPA but don't say you're willing to work for free.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I came really close during OCIs - 5 firms cut me during the last round because my grades didn't quite meet their cutoff. However, I was held to the final rounds because of my work experience. Well, after a great semester, I've increased my GPA by 0.12 to 3.6, which will probably put me around 15-18%. Worth sending an email to contacts there asking if anyone dropped out? Offering to intern for free within my desired practice group (very niche-y)?
Did they tell you it was because of grades? None of the firms that I got dinged by gave any reason for the rejection. I also thought most firms didn't look too much at grades once you are in for a callback. I doubt OCI firms are interested in adding to summer classes now out of the pool of dinged applicants. If there were individual persons at the firms who specifically told you that you were a good candidate but got dinged because of low grades, maybe it would be more graceful to e-mail those persons directly with a copy of your transcript. You could tell them how much you liked the firm and ask if they will be recruiting 3Ls at your school next fall. If they really dinged you solely because of grades and they have an open spot for this summer leave it to them to offer.

bobloblawut

New

Post by bobloblawut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I came really close during OCIs - 5 firms cut me during the last round because my grades didn't quite meet their cutoff. However, I was held to the final rounds because of my work experience. Well, after a great semester, I've increased my GPA by 0.12 to 3.6, which will probably put me around 15-18%. Worth sending an email to contacts there asking if anyone dropped out? Offering to intern for free within my desired practice group (very niche-y)?
Did they tell you it was because of grades? None of the firms that I got dinged by gave any reason for the rejection. I also thought most firms didn't look too much at grades once you are in for a callback. I doubt OCI firms are interested in adding to summer classes now out of the pool of dinged applicants. If there were individual persons at the firms who specifically told you that you were a good candidate but got dinged because of low grades, maybe it would be more graceful to e-mail those persons directly with a copy of your transcript. You could tell them how much you liked the firm and ask if they will be recruiting 3Ls at your school next fall. If they really dinged you solely because of grades and they have an open spot for this summer leave it to them to offer.
This is definitely what I would do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”