Class Standing on Resume Q

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Class Standing on Resume Q

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

I am looking for some advice related to how to display my class standing on my resume to seek out employment for 1L summer. At my school there isn't class rank just a sheet that breaks down class standing by % (top 5%, 10%, 15%, etc.) Well I missed top 25% by .009 so I imagine I am literally the first person outside the top quarter is there anyway I can display this to potential employers without coming across as a douche, or should I just put that I am top 30%?

horseradish

Re: Class Standing on Resume Q

Postby horseradish » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

GPA: 3.XX (GPA of 3.XX = Approximate top 25%)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 pm

horseradish wrote:GPA: 3.XX (GPA of 3.XX = Approximate top 25%)

No. Don't ever round up. If you are the not in the top 25%, you cannot approximate in your own favor.

If your school doesn't rank you, ask your career services for guidance. If they still won't approximate your rank, just list you GPA. People who receive your resume aren't going to know exactly if you are the 24.87%ile or the 26.01%, but if they are familiar with your school they will know you are about at 25%, and that's what you are trying to convey.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm

At my school, you put your percentile, and then if you want, you can say X%=xxx GPa. That way, you can show how close you are to the next percentile without rounding (if you want)

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Renzo wrote:

No. Don't ever round up. If you are the not in the top 25%, you cannot approximate in your own favor.

If your school doesn't rank you, ask your career services for guidance. If they still won't approximate your rank, just list you GPA. People who receive your resume aren't going to know exactly if you are the 24.87%ile or the 26.01%, but if they are familiar with your school they will know you are about at 25%, and that's what you are trying to convey.

I'm pretty sure you can do this (it's how we do it at my school). Just list your GPA, then beside it list the 25% cutoff. You're not rounding up, you're just showing the comparison, and the reviewer can see that you're right at 25%.

e.g. GPA: 3.60 (Top 25% = 3.61)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:17 pm

jackattack17 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can do this (it's how we do it at my school). Just list your GPA, then beside it list the 25% cutoff. You're not rounding up, you're just showing the comparison, and the reviewer can see that you're right at 25%.

This is totally legit.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Renzo wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

This is totally legit.

TCR.

career services + firms have said this works.

horseradish

Postby horseradish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Renzo wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

This is totally legit.

This is exactly what I was saying to begin with...

Return to “Legal Employment”