1L SA - Firm's expectations with regard to 2nd summer/beyond Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nucky thompson

Bronze

1L SA - Firm's expectations with regard to 2nd summer/beyond

Post by nucky thompson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Obvi the cover letters are saying I "intend to be in this market" etc etc. -- What if I change my mind and want a different market/firm 2nd summer?

splitmuch

Silver

Re: 1L SA - Firm's expectations with regard to 2nd summer/beyond

Post by splitmuch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Then you go and work somewhere else second year , hopefully using an offer to return as a backup. The firm however, most likely expects you to return, especially if they are secondary market or not Super Prestigious.

The 1L firm is then not happy with you.

So what?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:05 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Obvi the cover letters are saying I "intend to be in this market" etc etc. -- What if I change my mind and want a different market/firm 2nd summer?
The firm wouldn't feel the slightest regret canning you. You shouldn't feel the slightest regret hitting and quitting the firm.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:15 pm

I did my 1L summer SA in a secondary market and decided to go to a firm in NYC for my 2L summer. Most firms won't be surprised if you switch, but just make sure you don't burn any bridges if you decide to switch to a different firm.

EDIT: When I applied to my 1L position I mentioned that I intended to work in that secondary market. However, I decided to switch when I realized that I didn't really like working there. This is a decision that will affect you for the rest of your life, so you should do what is best for your career. Your 1L firm will get over it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”