Logistics of midlaw hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Logistics of midlaw hiring

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 am

So I am starting the process of applying to mid sized firms in nyc (think 10-50 lawyers) and I'm unsure how to go about it. Most of the firms don't have a recruiting contact, so I'm assuming I should just cold email a partner at the firm.

1. Should I just send a cover letter/resume to every alum of my school at a given firm?
2. Should the cover letter be in the body of the email, and, if yes, should the cover letter be any different from a normal email attachment cover letter?
3. Would it be better to email a partner alum or the managing partner?

I'd really appreciate any useful feedback. Thanks.

Gorki

Re: Logistics of midlaw hiring

Postby Gorki » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I am starting the process of applying to mid sized firms in nyc (think 10-50 lawyers) and I'm unsure how to go about it. Most of the firms don't have a recruiting contact, so I'm assuming I should just cold email a partner at the firm.

1. Should I just send a cover letter/resume to every alum of my school at a given firm?
2. Should the cover letter be in the body of the email, and, if yes, should the cover letter be any different from a normal email attachment cover letter?
3. Would it be better to email a partner alum or the managing partner?

I'd really appreciate any useful feedback. Thanks.

1. No. This seems creepy or just really really annoying to me (sorta like the person in the office who sends out a company-wide email about some minor problem that affects a group of 2-3 people)

2. Cover letter should be an independent .pdf file separate from email and resume. Email will basically say "I am a X year law student a Y law school. I am emailing because I have an interest in your firm. I look forward to hearing from you." Obviously it does not have to be that simple, but just saying the email itself is just telling the person WHY you are emailing them.

3. If there is no way to find a hiring coordinator, or hiring partner, I would honestly pick managing partner. Maybe if your school has a huge pull it may be better to go to the alum Partner, but I had 0 luck that way. I would get rapid responses (mostly negative, but at least responses) when I emailed the managing partner. I am curious as to what other people say about this question.

Return to “Legal Employment”