Does physical appearance play a role in the hiring process?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ChikaBoom

Re: Does physical appearance play a role in the hiring process?

Postby ChikaBoom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:55 pm

AlanShore wrote:
cinephile wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:The one thing I will say about the heritability research is why do we have so much more overweight people now than 30 or 50 years ago? Obviously our genes haven't changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if environmental pollutants, including those in our foods, actually have mutated our genes. Or if some people are just genetically predisposed not to process processed foods as well as others can.

agree. there are plenty of studies that support this.

The portion sizes are a ton bigger now than they used to be. People have more entertainment options that involve being sedentary. A lot more professions are sedentary. Probably more that than genetic mutations.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 pm

ChikaBoom wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
cinephile wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:The one thing I will say about the heritability research is why do we have so much more overweight people now than 30 or 50 years ago? Obviously our genes haven't changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if environmental pollutants, including those in our foods, actually have mutated our genes. Or if some people are just genetically predisposed not to process processed foods as well as others can.

The portion sizes are a ton bigger now than they used to be. People have more entertainment options that involve being sedentary. A lot more professions are sedentary. Probably more that than genetic mutations.

Genetic mutations yes. But the unnatural/chemicals we put in food today has an adverse reaction with our bodies our ability to regulate insulin levels (insulin being the primary mechanism in which our bodies decide to burn fat or sugar and store fat or sugar) , etc etc (there are many examples) and these lead to weight gain and poor health. Of course underlying all this is we are eating more grains and too much food in general.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:43 pm

AlanShore wrote:
cinephile wrote:

No your genes haven't been mutated. Food is just super fucking cheap, and large serving sizes sell better than small ones. Food is unimaginably cheap in America. The average family spends ~5% of money on food. Traditionally it was ~1/3.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
cinephile wrote:

No your genes haven't been mutated. Food is just super fucking cheap, and large serving sizes sell better than small ones. Food is unimaginably cheap in America. The average family spends ~5% of money on food. Traditionally it was ~1/3.

No our genes have not mutated. We are eating too much shit food. However there are chemicals going into shit food that is literally messing with the way we regulate fat. This, combined with the poor "modern" diet is making everyone fat. I was agreeing with cinephiles idea about pollutants, not gene mutation. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Bad fattening food is really cheap and that is why we have an obesity crisis. Add into the equation the fact that most families today have both parents working which means kids are more likely to go to McDonalds or whatever than eat less fattening food at home. I think it is unfortunate that kids are making strong decisions on where to eat, but I am not sure what a solution would be.
I bet this is also the reason while throughout most of history and most of the world, being fat is a sign of wealth, in the US it has become "low class" and obesity generally seems to hit more working class families.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 am

it's important to note that it's not only the type of food you eat, but how much you eat, and how much you work out. all are just as important as the other.

i would venture to guess that the quantity of food consumed, at least for most people, might be the most important factor. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 am

I love that the entire conversation of this thread became about food/diet/nutrition/obesity. As a random draw back to the original post, physical appearance plays a part in everything you do. Studies of children in the 5-6 year old range have concluded that attractiveness plays a major role in our psyche, before the sexual component ever becomes a factor in the pubescent sense.

Humanity is inevitably about the sexual component, even from a genetic level, so physical appearance will always play a factor. It might not necessarily preclude a given person from a given job, but generally speaking, you need to look like someone your future employer wants to hire. That mold might change, but the fact remains the same.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Also back to the original question, of course it does. I can't believe how frequently people broach this topic.

Do you judge other people by their looks (whether you realize it or will admit to it might be the real question)? Well they're judging too. This doesn't necessarily always mean the more attractive, skinnier, etc. person will be the beneficiary of said judgment, since it also depends on the people doing the judging.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:58 pm

+1. If a good looking guy/girl is interviewing you, and you are good-looking and of the same sex as the interviewer, expect a ding. No one wants their position as the hottie of the office to be threatened by some first year associate.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Lasers wrote:it's important to note that it's not only the type of food you eat, but how much you eat, and how much you work out. all are just as important as the other.

i would venture to guess that the quantity of food consumed, at least for most people, might be the most important factor. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

This is more directed at the whole topic, but I take issue with a lot of this.

1.) Those same bad processed foods were around for decades (Spam), etc. What about during the Depression when all people ate were simple carbs?

2.) The chemicals we've filtered out in recent years like transfat and corn syrups were huge for these decades.

3.) There were no healthy options at fast food joints. Now we have salads, grilled chicken options, etc.

4.) Exercise technology was not very advanced, at least compared to now so it would be difficult to get cardio workouts in cold weather.

5.) There was less information available. Many people would eat foods they thought were good for them that weren't.

the difference in weight is work ethic.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Calories in/Calories out still works for 95+% of people. I'm not denying that there are genetic factors, but it still comes down to self-control for the vast majority of humanity. I was 300+lbs. in high school and made all the excuses, but diet + exercise = -100lbs in two years.

Funny enough, I have a friend who is 6'9 who recently got a full-ride to a T20 and was concerned about how his height might turn off employers. Obviously, being tall is generally considered a good thing in the workplace, but does that go for NBA heights?

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Calories in/Calories out still works for 95+% of people. I'm not denying that there are genetic factors, but it still comes down to self-control for the vast majority of humanity. I was 300+lbs. in high school and made all the excuses, but diet + exercise = -100lbs in two years.

Funny enough, I have a friend who is 6'9 who recently got a full-ride to a T20 and was concerned about how his height might turn off employers. Obviously, being tall is generally considered a good thing in the workplace, but does that go for NBA heights?

The sheer amount of knowledge we have today should change it too. Food is the same with more diet options.

I grew up as a fat kid until I learned how nutrition worked right around when I really wanted to play varsity basketball in high school, and the coach said I would need to get into better shape to get on the team. I knew fried foods and oreos were bad, but didn't know that a plate of white rice was bad if I wasn't going to be doing anything active in the next 3-4 hours. The knowledge we have to day where by law things must be posted should make it obvious.

Genes play a role, and if you are stuck in a wheelchair or something that's different because you can't be active, but generally people with slower metabolisms don't get as hungry. I know after I play 2 hours of basketball or run 10 miles or whatever I tend to require a lot more food to fill me.

I believe anyone can get into good shape. I also believe it's much easier today than ever before.

Return to “Legal Employment”