Top 1% 1st Semester Concern Over Class Load Before OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 1% 1st Semester Concern Over Class Load Before OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 am

Top 1%.
Top 10 school.

My goal was top 25% as a dream coming in.

Therefore is it prudent to take classes where everyone gets median or almost everyone versus classes with a lot of A+ and a lot of C's?

Goal is big law with no big ties.

Anonymous User

Re: Top 1% 1st Semester Concern Over Class Load Before OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 pm

I was in the exact same position, also at a T10 school. It is a challenge keeping your grades up 2L year, but it can be done. It's especially tough if your goals are clerking, because you'll want to take solid black-letter classes, but those classes will be more competitive than your 1L BLL classes were.

Either way, tread carefully. I dropped a bit third semester but brought it back up since then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 pm

op - but i feel like i don't need this caliber of performance to hit my goals. i'm still going to work hard. i am making sure to not consider myself too smart, and making sure to not get over confident. but i really only need top 25% to hit my goals for oci, because i have good social skills and interview well.

my q is if it's smart to take classes with mostly median grades vs. classes where there are a lot of top 10% and bottom 10% grades with the logic while i'd punt the possibility of law review, i will be in near certain shape to stay in the top 25% after 1l. is this smart?

Agent

Postby Agent » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Based on what you've said here, I recommend that you load up on classes with likely bimodal grade distribution.

ninereal

Postby ninereal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:op - but i feel like i don't need this caliber of performance to hit my goals. i'm still going to work hard. i am making sure to not consider myself too smart, and making sure to not get over confident. but i really only need top 25% to hit my goals for oci, because i have good social skills and interview well.

my q is if it's smart to take classes with mostly median grades vs. classes where there are a lot of top 10% and bottom 10% grades with the logic while i'd punt the possibility of law review, i will be in near certain shape to stay in the top 25% after 1l. is this smart?

wait, why would you be punting law review with post-1L grades?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Agent wrote:Based on what you've said here, I recommend that you load up on classes with likely bimodal grade distribution.

This, though pass/fail would be preferable

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Yea dude- you absolutely crushed it at a great school. Clearly you get law school, and a lot of people are trying to figure out what went wrong and how to improve right now. Have some confidence, take the high and low grade class, and go in there and hit it out of the park again. Great job first semester.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

You get to pick your classes during 1L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 pm

op: i'm confident but this is a top 10 law school. i barely got in and was waitlisted. don't know if i can keep same work ethic up all semester + my knowledge wasn't more advanced - i was just much better at exam taking i think. will there be a real difference between ~5% and ~25% if my only goal is $?

also, and i'm not a flame (i have a non-traditional educational background and didn't learn this stuff) - what does bimodal mean? is that the sharper inclines or the easy curve?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:15 pm

ph14 wrote:You get to pick your classes during 1L?

1/2 of them 2nd sem.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1/2 of them 2nd sem.

And you know for a fact that professors have such different curves? I would pick based on professor rating to be honest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1/2 of them 2nd sem.

And you know for a fact that professors have such different curves? I would pick based on professor rating to be honest.

yeah their grading trends.

not pick on doing that. i actually think i might do better with poorer rated professors because i can learn on my own better than most people and it's the same curve.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 pm

2L who was in a very similar situation last year. You should not take B+ heavy courses. At least at my school, even professors who spread the curve out still give roughly 1/3 of the class B+ (while giving roughly 1/3 higher and 1/3 lower, though the A/A- and B/B- split varies). That means 2/3 of the class is still getting at least a B+. Grades tend to stay fairly consistent. There may be some swings, but generally speaking it is highly unlikely that someone in the top 1% of the class will land in the bottom 1/3 of any given class.

Basically, if you really do continue to work hard, it would very unusual to do so poorly that you would fall out of the top 25%. The only thing I would recommend is to avoid super gunner classes like Fed Courts (which you probably cannot take as a 1L anyway). As for your goals, if your goal is biglaw, having elite grades only helps. Can you land biglaw in top 25% of a T10? Of course. You almost certainly will if you are not an idiot. But there is a difference between landing biglaw and choosing which firm in which city you want to go to while not having the same stress as most of your classmates do during OCI. You should not be settling for top 25% at this point. This is obviously in addition to clerking, if that is of any interest to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L who was in a very similar situation last year. You should not take B+ heavy courses. At least at my school, even professors who spread the curve out still give roughly 1/3 of the class B+ (while giving roughly 1/3 higher and 1/3 lower, though the A/A- and B/B- split varies). That means 2/3 of the class is still getting at least a B+. Grades tend to stay fairly consistent. There may be some swings, but generally speaking it is highly unlikely that someone in the top 1% of the class will land in the bottom 1/3 of any given class.

Basically, if you really do continue to work hard, it would very unusual to do so poorly that you would fall out of the top 25%. The only thing I would recommend is to avoid super gunner classes like Fed Courts (which you probably cannot take as a 1L anyway). As for your goals, if your goal is biglaw, having elite grades only helps. Can you land biglaw in top 25% of a T10? Of course. You almost certainly will if you are not an idiot. But there is a difference between landing biglaw and choosing which firm in which city you want to go to while not having the same stress as most of your classmates do during OCI. You should not be settling for top 25% at this point. This is obviously in addition to clerking, if that is of any interest to you.

i think we're in the same school. i'm not very intellectually curious. i really just care about $ and football. i can get along with people in any firm pending they're not a-holes, and can speak nfl. i'd rather have a 99% shot at any 160k job than a 70-75% shot at a 160k job at any firm i want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L who was in a very similar situation last year. You should not take B+ heavy courses. At least at my school, even professors who spread the curve out still give roughly 1/3 of the class B+ (while giving roughly 1/3 higher and 1/3 lower, though the A/A- and B/B- split varies). That means 2/3 of the class is still getting at least a B+. Grades tend to stay fairly consistent. There may be some swings, but generally speaking it is highly unlikely that someone in the top 1% of the class will land in the bottom 1/3 of any given class.

i think we're in the same school. i'm not very intellectually curious. i really just care about $ and football. i can get along with people in any firm pending they're not a-holes, and can speak nfl.

Same anon you quoted. I don't think we are at the same school based on a small detail, but we likely go to similar schools. We also sound like similar people. I swear I almost went to Covington just because they walked me by Tagliabue's office and I talked Bountygate and concussions for most of the offer dinner. Anyway, point is that you would be surprised how firms have different personalities. That little qualification you tossed in (not a-holes and speak NFL) rules out plenty of firms. Also, some firms pay more than others. You want to go to Boies Schiller? Finish top 1% and you can. Top 25% and they will not even give you a screener. Also, you already said you plan to work hard. The only reason to take heavy B+ classes is if you do not feel like doing shit any more (wouldn't blame you if that's the case). As long as you plan to keep working though, might as well take classes where you can get high grades that will let you keep top 1%. You are not going to fall out of the top 25% unless you mail it in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i think we're in the same school. i'm not very intellectually curious. i really just care about $ and football. i can get along with people in any firm pending they're not a-holes, and can speak nfl.

Same anon you quoted. I don't think we are at the same school based on a small detail, but we likely go to similar schools. We also sound like similar people. I swear I almost went to Covington just because they walked me by Tagliabue's office and I talked Bountygate and concussions for most of the offer dinner. Anyway, point is that you would be surprised how firms have different personalities. That little qualification you tossed in (not a-holes and speak NFL) rules out plenty of firms. Also, some firms pay more than others. You want to go to Boies Schiller? Finish top 1% and you can. Top 25% and they will not even give you a screener. Also, you already said you plan to work hard. The only reason to take heavy B+ classes is if you do not feel like doing shit any more (wouldn't blame you if that's the case). As long as you plan to keep working though, might as well take classes where you can get high grades that will let you keep top 1%. You are not going to fall out of the top 25% unless you mail it in.

i'm not spoiled, and my logic coming in was to treat 1l like a prison sentence, and then to take it easy 2l and 3l year and focus on social development and looks so i can def keep up the effort.

Heat

Postby Heat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:35 pm

I don't understand why you made this topic. It seems like you clearly have your mind made up. Every person who has given you advice has said take the classes that give you the best shot at maintaining your class rank but your pushing hard in the other direction.

Take the classes that give As and Cs. The chances of you getting a C in any class when you are getting As in all the others is extremely small. The chance of it happening in all your classes is even smaller. Despite this advice, I imagine you'll simply take B+ heavy classes and still get As so it won't really matter either way.

Return to “Legal Employment”